Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Darkroom

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 8th May 2015, 02:01 PM
Friend

Default Heiland Electronic LED cold light source

Hello,

I am looking for some feedback from people who use LED cold light source from Heiland Electronic not the Spligrade System.
I am thinking about one to replace my Zone VI Type II VC head which is not very bright and powerfull.
Thanks.

Let me apologize, English is not my mother language
Old 8th May 2015, 09:51 PM
Friend

Hi Payral,
Yes I've been using one for about three weeks.
It consists of three units the Cold light, power adapter and a digital control box that allows you to select white light, safe light and grades from 00-5 in 10th of a stops, all lights can be dimed.
It's a fantastic bit of kit and a pleasure to use.
J.

http://real-silver-prints.com/

"I Prefer it in the Dark"
Old 9th May 2015, 06:33 AM
Friend

Thanks Jon,

Is it very bright ? Do you get really grade 00 and 5 with almost all papers ?
Did you try split printing with 0 and 5 position ?
Did you stop using it ?
Old 9th May 2015, 05:57 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Butler View Post
Hi Payral,
Yes I've been using one for about three weeks.
It consists of three units the Cold light, power adapter and a digital control box that allows you to select white light, safe light and grades from 00-5 in 10th of a stops, all lights can be dimed.
It's a fantastic bit of kit and a pleasure to use.
J.
Jon,

can you tell us if the grade settings it uses are speed matched and if so what approx density is it on when using the new MGIV Classic paper?

Also, does it have a control to alter the speed point where the grade curves all cross ?
Old 11th May 2015, 01:37 PM
Friend

Philippe,
My first impressions were that it was bit dim but the exposure times do not bare this out. eg. 12"x12" from 5x4 = 6s @ f16 g2.5 for base exposure, I think my first impressions were influence by the change of colour, very white light.
All grades are available on Ilford paper, I only use Ilford! some makes of paper have a compressed range.
No problem with S/Grade, exposure for grades over about 3.8 are faster than when using Ilford MG filters.

I will be continuing to use the system as I find it has got the most effective grade control I've ever used and it will be a very creative tool, this makes the €1800 spent value for me.
J.

Old 11th May 2015, 11:02 PM
Friend

Argentum,
No the grades are not speed matched but you could dim the lower grades to get consistent exposure times across all the grades but I shan't bother as I print instinctively using the analyser fitted between my ears, I've been printing a very long time.
The main reason for getting this kit was to get consistency as I've been having increasing problems with the tungsten lamps going ape mid session giving a massive lowering in contrast.
Other pluses are no falloff in the corners, no heat and no noise.
Haven't found any negative points yet and I'm really enjoying using it.
Cheers J.

Old 12th May 2015, 01:23 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Butler View Post
Argentum,
No the grades are not speed matched but you could dim the lower grades to get consistent exposure times across all the grades but I shan't bother as I print instinctively using the analyser fitted between my ears, I've been printing a very long time.
The main reason for getting this kit was to get consistency as I've been having increasing problems with the tungsten lamps going ape mid session giving a massive lowering in contrast.
Other pluses are no falloff in the corners, no heat and no noise.
Haven't found any negative points yet and I'm really enjoying using it.
Cheers J.
Useful to know that they are or aren't speed matched and how much variance there is. Makes predicting what changes you want to make to time easier. But I agree that with suffiently frequent use of your equipment, these things become instinctive.
Old 12th May 2015, 01:51 AM
Friend

Having said that, since these things are controlled by electronics what I would really like is an LED light source that you can calibrate to any paper with speed matching and also a controlable speed matching point from the shadows to the highlights. That would provide for opening the shadows or highlights or both with little change in time depending on the negative. Nice thought but I doubt it will ever be available. I think it would be a big selling point even if it isn't really necessary to have.
Old 12th May 2015, 06:27 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argentum View Post
Having said that, since these things are controlled by electronics what I would really like is an LED light source that you can calibrate to any paper with speed matching and also a controlable speed matching point from the shadows to the highlights. That would provide for opening the shadows or highlights or both with little change in time depending on the negative. Nice thought but I doubt it will ever be available. I think it would be a big selling point even if it isn't really necessary to have.
I'm using a StopClock Pro as the timer that plugs in to the digital control box this gives me manual control, that's my preferred method.
Others could choose to add Heiland's S/Grade unit and the other controller that will give them fully automated printing.
J.

Old 18th May 2015, 02:20 PM
Friend

Thanks you all. I ordered one just waiting to get it now.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies