Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Darkroom

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 14th December 2016, 09:14 AM
Friend

Default Durst M605 Enlarger

I have seen one of these on ebay with a 50mm Rodenstock rogonar f 2.8 lens. Any users on here, or advice? Sitting at £50 just now. I have read some favourable reviews, but always good to get current opinions.

Cheers,

Garry
Old 14th December 2016, 10:49 AM
Friend

I have the m305 condenser enlarger wrapped up in my loft I used it once and found it worked well and its easy to use ,and if you have not got a proper darkroom its easy to move about as for the lens its a good lens .. you would have no trouble with a setup like that .good luck with your bidding .PS if you are wondering why I have a enlarger in my loft ,I have five altogether two I use, two I have stored in my loft for when my two grandkids are a bit older and a spare one I will sell soon ,its amazing what you collect over the years .

www.essexcockney.com
Old 14th December 2016, 10:57 AM
Friend

I've been using a M605 for about 16 years now, great enlarger, I've a M601 in storage as well with a colour head. The Phillips timer is excellent as well, it's what I've been using for about 40 years.

Ian
Old 14th December 2016, 11:13 AM
Friend

Cheers Paul, sounds like a winner!

Quote:
Originally Posted by big paul View Post
PS if you are wondering why I have a enlarger in my loft ,I have five altogether two I use, two I have stored in my loft for when my two grandkids are a bit older and a spare one I will sell soon ,its amazing what you collect over the years .

www.essexcockney.com
I need no encouragement to "store for the future!"
Old 14th December 2016, 11:18 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostlabours View Post
I've been using a M605 for about 16 years now, great enlarger, I've a M601 in storage as well with a colour head. The Phillips timer is excellent as well, it's what I've been using for about 40 years.

Ian
Thanks Ian. I think I'll set a max bid and see where it goes.

Re the colour head, a rookie question, but do I need anything else to develop B&W?
Old 14th December 2016, 11:46 AM
Friend

Default Durst M605 Enlarger

You can use the colour head for B&W. If you are using graded paper, which is less common nowadays, you just switch the filters out of the light path and expose with white light. If you choose multigrade type paper (variable contrast), you can use the built in yellow and magenta filters to alter the print contrast.
Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 14th December 2016, 12:00 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garry View Post
Thanks Ian. I think I'll set a max bid and see where it goes.

Re the colour head, a rookie question, but do I need anything else to develop B&W?
My original M601 had condensers, later I bought a second with a colour head and preferred it for many reasons. I like the softer light source which is less prone to show up dust etc, the ability to dial in filtration for variable contrast papers, slightly more even lighting.

Ian
Old 14th December 2016, 12:44 PM
Friend

I too have the 605M and found it to be excellent. Well-built and with a very adequate board at the bottom for easels. You can even get an extension to the main stalk for very large negative projections.

It will take 35mm, 645 and 66 negs.

If you favour MG filters instead of dialling-in the dichroic(YMC) colour filters you can do so with a kit that fixes under the lens allowing you to place the appropriate filter for the grade you want.

If it's an e-bay purchase, just ask a few pertinent questions such as can the owner confirm that the dichroic filters can all be dialled in and all are in good condition. The bulb is easily available as well.

These filters do not fade with use so all you need to be sure of is that none are damaged and can be altered by the dials

None of my business really but unless the seller has a 100% feedback( check it for any negative stuff) and answers your questions in an open honest way then I'd be a bit wary of purchase until I had "nailed" his answers down to my satisfaction

Mike
Old 14th December 2016, 12:59 PM
Friend

Wise words, thanks all.

This is the listing if you are interested. 100% feedback, but not used this enlarger. I'll ask the suggested questions and see what he says.

Thanks again,
Garry
Old 14th December 2016, 03:07 PM
Friend

Gary,

just looking at the listing you highlighted, ebay offered other suggestions, including another similar enlarger with loads of other bits for a starting price of £3.50, with no offers as yet BUT it's pick up only. Not sure where you are but check out the ad:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DURST-M605...3D152352470001

And at the other end of the scale, someone in Europe is asking £394.19 for a similar set up!:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DURST-M605...UAAOSwPCVYAPWV

So a price somewhere between the two should be expected...

Happy bidding / buying,

Terry S

Last edited by Terry S; 14th December 2016 at 03:12 PM.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies