Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Darkroom

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 18th October 2021, 06:09 PM
Friend

Default Analyser Pro

I have coming tomorrow a new Analyser Pro, any tips on its use. I have watched a few video's on it, but all seem quite old, so not sure how relevant they are.

I read that they come pre programmed for MG RC Ilford paper so does this mean you can use it straight out of the box, or will it need a calibration session to get it in sync with my equipment.

Flack
Old 18th October 2021, 07:56 PM
Friend

Hi Flack,
Congratulations, it's a great machine!. I highly recommend watching the videos by Chris, who is one of the developers of the tool. Original site gone, but here on Youtube now: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfFYIu_t9VQ
Certainly read the manuals and everything else comes by using the tool. You should calibrate your equipment, but can use the presets as starting point. Though I am not sure whether the new machines still refer to the now outdated version MG IV.
By and by you will find where to measure on the paper to get best shadows and Highlights. It needs some experience, but already first results are often already quite good. Excellent working print and next variation could already be really fine.
Frank
Old 20th October 2021, 04:34 PM
Friend

Talking

Well Frank I am blown away by this analyser, I set it up, without doing any calibration because I have a few sheets of matt mg-vc paper left and I dont really like it, I much prefer the glossy paper. So waiting for that to come before I run a full calibration.

I did a print of a known negative that took me 3 or 4 test strips and at least 3 full sheets of 10x8 to get what I call a good print, before I got the analyser.

I did one test strip using the analyser pro to measure the negative, I adjusted the grade to what I thought was good according to the video's I have watched, I processed the test strip and it looked spot on.

So i went for a full print.
I used this same negative and made the same size 10x8, but metered with the analyser pro, I have to say its my best image yet, I am still rusty doing B/W after a 30 year break, but seeing this tool in action just made it a lot easier and saves me a ton of paper.

What a good investment.

Flack
Old 20th October 2021, 06:36 PM
Friend

Indeed, the first try is often so good that I am already quite happy or good enogh to send it to friends, who then often enjoy for the first time their best photo experience in their life: a print on paper in their hands! :-)
Frank
Old 21st October 2021, 09:17 AM
Friend

Hi, I'm a new member here, but thought I would chip in with my experience. I see you already a have good results with the default calibration for MG VC paper, this would be version IV of that paper presumably. I have the similar system using the zonemaster II light meter. The issue you may find is that Ilfords latest V5 MGRC papers have a very different profile, they print about a grade faster than version IV. I did my own calibration initially which was further complicated because I am using a LED bulb in my leitz Vaoly II enlarger. I don't have a densitometer, so the calibration involves making judgments by eye on test strips. Let’s just say the calibration process is highly laborious and will test patience. I did get a usable calibration eventually, but didn’t feel it was as accurate as when I was using a conventional bulb in another enlarger with the default calibration for MGIV.
I then found that Chris Woodhouse offers a calibration service where you send him a condensed set of test strips and he analyses them with his densitometer. He charges £20 for the first calibration and £10 for each subsequent calibration.
I was very pleased with the results I got back. Whilst his results were near mine for the exposures, his contrast figures were quite different from mine and actually ended up being fairly close to Ilford’s own published data. I found assessing contrast by eye was particularly challenging, so it was no surprise.
Since plugging his results into my zone master II I’ve been more than happy with the results. I would gladly pay Chris the £10 for future calibrations, as calibrating myself is a royal pain on the ar*e.
His email contact his “cwoodhou@me.com” if you feel you need to contact him. I hope he still offers the service, it was March this year when I had my calibration done.
Otherwise, you might find other users calibration posted for your enlarger set up and paper that would suffice without doing any more fiddling!
Old 24th October 2021, 11:49 AM
Friend

Frank have you tried a contact sheet with the anlyser, I see in the manual they tell you how to do it, but what do they mean by place a clear piece of negative over the sensor window. Is it a negative thats see through or a piece that has nothing on it.??

Flack
Old 24th October 2021, 05:17 PM
Friend

Hi Flack,
I tried this so far only with a large format negative with the base at the edges. It worked reasonably well, but I guess you have to test it nevertheless. Developing one clear negative of each film in order to test the base is actually a good idea. Thanks for your question! :-)
Frank
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies