Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Photography in general

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 27th February 2022, 12:45 PM
Friend

Question Film numbers/Red window

I have a Zeiss ikoflex that requires you to see the frame number when winding. I had some foma200 and that was fine but I just tried some Delta 100 and some Rollei rpx 100 and neither had visible numbers. Is it really too hard for film manufacturers to use a bold font? So, does anyone have a list of 120 films where the text is visible through a red window?
Old 27th February 2022, 12:53 PM
Friend

I've had the same problem trying to shoot Ilford films in a Selfix 820, so I use Fomapan 200.

Ian
Old 27th February 2022, 01:02 PM
Friend

Isn't it annoying! So, all ilford films? Or just delta. My mate says he has been OK with ilford but I don't know which he has tried
Old 27th February 2022, 01:02 PM
Friend

I have found this to be a problem with most of the red window cameras I own, with Ilford. Kodak and Foma films.

I have worked around this by replacing the red window with a lighter red material. As a precaution I cover this with a small piece of tape, on the camera's back, which is only pulled back when advancing the film. If you are colour blind, as I am, I believe the problem is worse.

I have been doing this for years now with many cameras and never had a fogged film.

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 27th February 2022, 01:03 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostlabours View Post
I've had the same problem trying to shoot Ilford films in a Selfix 820, so I use Fomapan 200.

Ian
Ian, I thought that all Ilford films had numbers on the backing paper?

There has been in the few 120 cameras that I have used with red windows.

Terry S
Old 27th February 2022, 01:08 PM
Friend

I could see marks on the ilford delta backing paper but they were borderline illegible.
Old 27th February 2022, 01:10 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by B&W Neil View Post
I have found this to be a problem with most of the red window cameras I own, with Ilford. Kodak and Foma films.

I have worked around this by replacing the red window with a lighter red material. As a precaution I cover this with a small piece of tape, on the camera's back, which is only pulled back when advancing the film. If you are colour blind, as I am, I believe the problem is worse.

I have been doing this for years now with many cameras and never had a fogged film.

Neil.
Not a bad idea, that would certainly open it up. The ikoflex has a metal flap over the window. I will have a look at that one
Old 27th February 2022, 01:23 PM
Friend

This is interesting. A few posters recommend taking the red window out altogether, if you have a flap

"Red window and film choice | Photrio.com Photography Forums" https://www.photrio.com/forum/thread...choice.161362/
Old 27th February 2022, 02:52 PM
Friend

I carry a small folding loupe in my bag. Make seeing the numbers a lot easier.

www.davidlingham.uk
Old 27th February 2022, 02:56 PM
Friend

I think the very faint numbers may be/allegedly be as a result of the infamous problem that Kodak had and depending on whose post it is on Photrio, it was a problem for Ilford as well. That problem being the backing paper imprinting the number on the negative

It would seem that the answer was to make the printed numbers much fainter

Bottom line on it appears to be that unless and until Ilford and Kodak can be sure of the backing paper and ink there is little chance of any improvement in this light printing

Frankly I had the problem once on an XP2 Plus 120 on my Agfa Isollete when I kept winding the film through wondering why there were no numbers - there actually were but in brightish light I couldn't see them

A place in Northampton called Skears Photographic was kind enough to re-roll the film for me. From then on I have always gone into as shady a place I can find when winding on

Mike
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies