Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Site Forums > News and Announcements

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 15th August 2022, 07:47 AM
Administrator

Default Temporary Closure For Ugrade/Move To New Server This Week

We still have to coordinate a time for this with our hosting company, but will try to give some advance notice later.

It is just a small upgrade that adds no visible changes to the forum but it is forced on us as our hosting company is moving us to new servers and the current version of the forum software is incompatible with some of the software on the new server (for the technically curious, we need to use a newer PHP version).

While the site is being upgraded and moved to a new server, you will see a notice when you try to connect to the forum advising you that it is temporarily closed.

We do not know how long this will take, but I would expect a couple of hours at least given our testing of the upgrade process so far, but how long the hosting company will take to do their part is currently unknown so it may take a lot longer.

Once the site is back up you should just log in as normal. If you get any odd issues, such as being logged out again soon after logging in, try clearing all film-and-darkroom-user.org.uk cookies from your browser cache.

Cheers, Bob and Barry.

Last edited by Bob; 15th August 2022 at 02:47 PM.
Old 15th August 2022, 04:54 PM
Friend

Good luck with the move, Bob
Old 15th August 2022, 05:59 PM
Friend

Talking

Sounds a bit like programming the video, only easier.

Old 16th August 2022, 02:10 PM
Friend

Good luck guys.

If you manage it within a couple of hours I will buy you a pint next time I we meet up.

IT upgrades - no matter how small - always take far longer than you anticipate.

Martin
Old 16th August 2022, 07:00 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Aislabie View Post
Good luck guys.

If you manage it within a couple of hours I will buy you a pint next time I we meet up.

IT upgrades - no matter how small - always take far longer than you anticipate.

Martin
Yep - last time I was involved in one at work, it took them 14 hours to do an upgrade that should have taken a 5-minute reboot of the servers. Guess who saved the day when he was called in 13 hours into that upgrade at 2am. ;-)

That person was the only one, after 13 hours of them trying and 10 minutes after he joined the conference call, who bothered to google the error message they were getting... That someone got a £100 Amazon voucher as a thank-you for that (which he thought was a bit stingy when the customer going spare on the other end of the call was Marks and Spencer)...
Old 16th August 2022, 08:32 PM
Friend

Sounds as if we are in your good hands, Bob. Sounds as if you on the other hand may not be, assuming you are still there at the same place of work.

Do you work for that company where a certain Marley is already deceased?

Mike
Old 16th August 2022, 09:26 PM
Administrator

It wasn't really about how great I was (I really wasn't - it was a blindingly obvious move that I found astounding that not one of the four or five sysadmins on the call had already done).

It was more agreeing with Martin that these things can go astray. And how even simple problems can compound and bite you in the posterior if you do not pay attention to the basics.

Of course, that makes my £100 a bit more reasonable as a reward, but that would not give me anything to complain about, and where's the fun in that?!

I was working for them for 10 years as a software tech until I stopped work for good - 2 weeks before the first lockdown - impeccable timing as always!
Old 16th August 2022, 11:09 PM
Friend

There is a massive philosophical discussion possible here, Bob, as to whether reward should be measured in time expended with sweat irrespective of its saving to a company's resulting savings or whether it is the solution to the problem alone that counts.

However that's way beyond the remit of FADU but just to illustrate my meaning here's an amusing story

A man on returning to his brand new and expensive car finds a wing badly dented. He'd prefer not to claim on insurance so asks a main dealer garage to quote. The garage wants £300 to panel beat it out, re-prime the panel then apply coats of original paint. It is several hours of work. The man is shocked

He takes it to a rundown backstreet garage to see it he can get a better quote, explaining his shock at the the £300 quote from his main dealer. The one man owner looks at it and says he thinks it may be possible to do it for £50. If the customer is not satisfied then he owes nothing

On that basis the customer agrees. The garage owner gets his tools for removing dings and dents and having aimed carefully hits the dent in just the right spot The metal springs out leaving no paint damage as the car's paint being new, retains its plasticity A quick rub with polish and it is impossible to tell there was any damage

The customer expresses his amazement and agrees it was a great solution but as it was the work of about 3 minutes then £50 was not justified so offers £5

The garage owner promptly hits the panel again, the dent re-appears exactly as it was and suggests that the customer uses the main dealer

Mike
Old 17th August 2022, 08:22 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob View Post
Guess who saved the day when he was called in 13 hours into that upgrade at 2am. ;-)

That person was the only one, after 13 hours of them trying and 10 minutes after he joined the conference call, who bothered to google the error message they were getting... That someone got a £100 Amazon voucher as a thank-you for that (which he thought was a bit stingy when the customer going spare on the other end of the call was Marks and Spencer)...
After 13 hrs of trying to desperately solve a problem, plus the 2AM exhaustion faction - all logic and common sense left the room several hours ago.

Then, someone waltzes in with a fresh perspective and a clear find, makes everyone else look like a right chump.

I've been part of a team who have spent 5 nights (5pm to 3am) trying to fix a problem and someone else comes in and points out the blindingly obvious.

We were all too tired to even feel p*ssed off.

Martin
Old 19th August 2022, 07:46 PM
Friend

Bob, I got onto FADU tonight without problems and its Friday so do I take it that sometime today we moved onto the new server or has the move been postponed until next week?

Thanks

Mike
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies