Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Equipment miscellaneous

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 15th February 2010, 08:30 PM
Friend

Default Archival ringbinder boxes

Hi,

I would just like to ask if anybody uses 'archival ringbinder boxes' to store their negatives - as shown below:

http://www.silverprint.co.uk/Product....asp?PrGrp=931

In your opinion, are they worth having as opposed to a normal ringbinder? I have my negatives in various binders all kept in a nice dark drawer but I was perhaps thinking these boxes may accommodate more sheets and generally take up less space. But do you think they are also better for long-term storage?

I use Printfile negative sheets, so I'm assuming these will fit into them.

I would appreciate any opinions you may have. Many thanks.

Carl.
Old 15th February 2010, 09:28 PM
Friend

Hi Carl
I use exactly these boxes - the Museum grade ones - with Printfile sleeves. The boxes are excellent, and next time I am in London I will get a few more (postage of these to Australia is absurdly expensive).
I store the boxes lying flat so that the negative sheets do not sag or buckle.
Ian
Old 15th February 2010, 09:38 PM
Friend

Hi Ian,

Many thanks for your reply. I have to order some more sheets from Silverprint in the next day or two, so at the same time I'll order the box you recommend. The ring files I have are getting a little full now, so I thought these may be a good alternative.

Thanks again,

Carl.
Old 15th February 2010, 10:24 PM
Friend

No worries Carl. I like these boxes because they keep my negatives dark and dust-free. They also hold a lot of sheets and are very robust. They aren't cheap, but I think you will like using them.

Ian
Old 16th February 2010, 09:45 AM
Friend

The CXD option is just as good archivally & from the dust prevention point of view, and a lot cheaper.

We're also planning to have a range of the basic Timecare ringbinder box with coloured spines, (several different colours) any interest in these?
Old 16th February 2010, 12:07 PM
Friend

I purchased 2 of the CXD boxes from Silverprint recently and have no complaints whatsoever - they're really solid and look great to boot - certainly a lot better than my old open ringbinders.
Whilst I would have liked to have got them, I couldn't justify the cost of the Museum grade ones.
Phil
Old 16th February 2010, 12:35 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Reed View Post
The CXD option is just as good archivally & from the dust prevention point of view, and a lot cheaper.

We're also planning to have a range of the basic Timecare ringbinder box with coloured spines, (several different colours) any interest in these?
Hi Martin,

Thank you for letting me know about the CXD range. I've just been having a look at their website, and I hadn't realised they had such an extensive range of archival boxes. At present, I've already got one of them on order from Silverprint, but no doubt I'll be needing some more in the very near future so I'll take a closer look at the CXD boxes.

I'm much obliged to you for your information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
I purchased 2 of the CXD boxes from Silverprint recently and have no complaints whatsoever - they're really solid and look great to boot - certainly a lot better than my old open ringbinders.
Whilst I would have liked to have got them, I couldn't justify the cost of the Museum grade ones.
Phil
Hi Phil,

Many thanks to you. I agree the Museum grade ones are considerably more expensive. The CXD versions do look a nice alternative, and as you say, they're bound to be better than the open ringbinders I'm currently using.

Thanks again to you both, I appreciate your replies.

Last edited by Carl V; 16th February 2010 at 12:40 PM. Reason: typo
Old 16th February 2010, 02:06 PM
Friend

No problems Carl - happy to be of help. I had been using the University Products archival paper sleeves (superb, also from Silverprint), but have just switched to the Printfile 5x4 system which are now stored in these boxes - everything fits perfectly.
It's a shame for the paper sleeves, but I was getting a bit tardy about keeping the details on them up to date and it was a pain in the bahookie having to go through several handfuls and pull each negative out
Old 16th February 2010, 02:40 PM
Friend

I've been using the Timecare ones for years with Secol sleeves. No issues I'm aware of, a good solid product.

RH Designs darkroom equipment : dalesphoto.co.uk
Old 16th February 2010, 02:41 PM
Friend

Another vote for the CXD boxes. So much better than conventional ringbinders and they match with all my CXD print boxes as well!
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies