Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Equipment miscellaneous

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 6th March 2020, 09:53 PM
Friend

Default Nikon

Does anyone know if the meter coupling prong that used to be fitted as standard to all genuine manual focus lenses can be retrofitted to Nikon AF lenses?

I have had an interesting call this evening from an old acquaintance I have not seen for a few years. His father has just passed away and he is disposing of a load of his photographic gear including a Nikon F2 Photomic. According to the description it sounds as if it has hardly been used. I don't want to buy any more lenses, but if I can adapt the 3 main ones I have with the meter coupling prong, I will buy the Photomic body. There is a load of other bits and pieces which will be sold off by him but the Photomic body is what I would like.
Old 6th March 2020, 11:01 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by John King View Post
Does anyone know if the meter coupling prong that used to be fitted as standard to all genuine manual focus lenses can be retrofitted to Nikon AF lenses?

I have had an interesting call this evening from an old acquaintance I have not seen for a few years. His father has just passed away and he is disposing of a load of his photographic gear including a Nikon F2 Photomic. According to the description it sounds as if it has hardly been used. I don't want to buy any more lenses, but if I can adapt the 3 main ones I have with the meter coupling prong, I will buy the Photomic body. There is a load of other bits and pieces which will be sold off by him but the Photomic body is what I would like.
im not sure about this. thinking of it that would mean the prong would have to attach behind the chip which reads what aperture the lens is at. maybe give aperture in central london a call.

what lens was they offering? ive a black nikon f apollo.
Old 7th March 2020, 09:14 AM
Friend

I have had a picture sent to me, it still has the box & the original receipt but the price is not visible in the picture. The instruction book is there as well which looks new. It is in chrome. Apparently it hasn't been used for several years so will almost certainly need the foam strips replaced and possibly a service.

However it all depends upon the lenses being capable of being adapted to use the meter coupling.
Old 7th March 2020, 11:33 AM
Friend

hi John I have had a look on my af lenses and on the aperture ring there are two little marks ,they were put there to take the rabbits ears ,I do believe so it can be done but you will need to drill two very small holes where the dent marks are ,then try to buy the rabbits ears and screws ,or find a repair shop that have the parts and are willing to do the job ,or get a AI photomic head ...good luck

the Nikon F series cameras are all built like a SH.t out house and great to use .if its in great condition and a good price, you will love it
Old 7th March 2020, 12:14 PM
Friend

There is a table towards the bottom of the page that gives lens information for compatibility

https://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/co...ility-lens.htm

David
Old 7th March 2020, 12:57 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by John King View Post
I have had a picture sent to me, it still has the box & the original receipt but the price is not visible in the picture. The instruction book is there as well which looks new. It is in chrome. Apparently it hasn't been used for several years so will almost certainly need the foam strips replaced and possibly a service.

However it all depends upon the lenses being capable of being adapted to use the meter coupling.
thats a great find. i forgot to ask what af lenses are they? the af lenses which succeeded the ais have the aperture reading at the back of the lens like the ais manual lenses but no prong. you would see the aperture in the viewfinder but the meter would not work
Old 7th March 2020, 01:03 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by big paul View Post
hi John I have had a look on my af lenses and on the aperture ring there are two little marks ,they were put there to take the rabbits ears ,I do believe so it can be done but you will need to drill two very small holes where the dent marks are ,then try to buy the rabbits ears and screws ,or find a repair shop that have the parts and are willing to do the job ,or get a AI photomic head ...good luck

the Nikon F series cameras are all built like a SH.t out house and great to use .if its in great condition and a good price, you will love it
oh great now he just has to find someone to do it.

the nikon f cameras most defiantly are built like a tank. I was walking over waterloo bridge and didn't realise my bag was open drop from a height over my head. the body didn't get not one dent but the lens was totalled.
Old 7th March 2020, 06:15 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulstar View Post
thats a great find. i forgot to ask what af lenses are they? the af lenses which succeeded the ais have the aperture reading at the back of the lens like the ais manual lenses but no prong. you would see the aperture in the viewfinder but the meter would not work
All lenses are Nikons. 20-35/2.8 AFD, 28/105AFD 35/70/2.8 pre AFD and 70/300AFD nothing exotic. Lenses 1 and 3 are constant aperture.

I also have a 90mm Tamron Macro but that would not be compatible as the aperture is set electronically
Old 7th March 2020, 06:22 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by big paul View Post

I believe Grays of Westminster bought all the spare 'rabbits ears' recently and they have a 'tame' photo engineer who is capable of doing the work but almost certainly they will be expensive. If the marks are on the lens where to drill to fit the screws it should not be a difficult job for any competent engineer. I wonder if the lens has to be partially diss-assembled so that any swarf does not get into the 'works'.

If the work is too expensive I may still go ahead and buy it because it is in such good condition and splash out on a 2 or 3 MF lenses as well.

Update I have just checked the 28/105 and there are 2 tiny marks either side of the F5.6 mark on the aperture ring which is where I would have expected them. I have not checked the other 3 but if this one has them , I see no reason why the others should not too.

Quendil Thanks for the link and there is no problem with my main 4 lenses with compatability

Last edited by John King; 7th March 2020 at 06:43 PM.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies