Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Toy Cameras

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 4th September 2013, 12:34 PM
Friend

Default Kodak Brownie & film speed

Picked up a Brownie Flash III a while back and have since acquired a couple of 620 spools. I have in mind to take it out to a 1940s weekend (OK, ten years too late) and do some shooting alongside the 5x4.

What little technical information I can find these cameras, it would appear that the shutter speed is around 1/40 with a fixed aperture of f/16 or f/22 - Based on these figures, FP4+ may be the best choice if we have reasonable weather, HP5+ if it turns cold and wet.

What film would others shoot with this camera ?
Old 4th September 2013, 01:57 PM
Friend

I used a 1930's six-20 a couple of weeks ago - I should have respooled as clipping the 120 reel didn't work. It jammed so I only got six frames.
I had t-max 400 in it and had a couple of frames very underdone but most ok.
I would use the 400 whatever and compensate in developing. its fun just shooting away not knowing what you'll get.... until the thing jams.
Old 4th September 2013, 08:37 PM
Friend

I have put 120 film on to 620spools in the past to use an old camera. I agree with your choice of film, but if conditions are variable you may find Ilford XP2 a better choice. The wide exposure lattitude of this film will do a good job of compensating for the fact that you have only on shutter speed.
Old 13th September 2013, 03:49 AM
Friend

I usually get excellent results with HP5
Old 13th September 2013, 06:03 AM
Friend

I have an early black plastic 120 Brownie with the "Kodet" lens which after a bit of research I found was glass and f15. Later models had the "Dakon" lens which was plastic and f11, the extra stop being to assist with slower popular colour print films being more widely used.
I bought it, for peanuts, because it has a regular PC flash socket and not, like so many other moulded plastic 120/620/127 cameras, a patent flash connection only usable with the makers branded flashgun. The British made Coronets for example.
Old 16th September 2013, 09:27 AM
Friend

I was given a 1950's Kodak Brownie six-20 Model 'D' -- I re=rolled some 120 onto 620 spools and tried it out with outdated Ilford Delta 400, then I stuck a piece of black plastic photo paper wrapper with a smaller hole cut into it over the rear element having taken off the front, and it gave very sharp results !

Brownie-07 by pentaxpete, on Flickr

Kodak Brownie by pentaxpete, on Flickr
Old 16th September 2013, 12:19 PM
Friend

I need to load up my Kodak Reflex and get some photos from it. It is an exact duplicate of the first camera I ever had, back before 1950. I imagine I won't be able to find any Verichrome Pan film these days.
Old 18th September 2013, 02:20 PM
Friend

Respooled a roll of PanF thinking the weather was going to remain hot and sunny - So much for optimism, it started to rain the next day !

Managed to pick up a couple more 620 spools, so I'll dig out some HP5+ ready for the weekend. There is a 1940s weekend being staged out at Sheringham and the camera should fit in quite nicely.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies