Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Cameras - medium format

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 25th June 2014, 01:17 PM
Friend

Talking Cost of Fujifilm GA645zi from Japan

Just purchased a beautiful GA645ZI with 600 shots recorded from Ebay Japan . Here is a breakdown of the cost for anyone thinking of buying from outside the EU. Customs charges are applied to imports into EU for anything with a value over £15. All items valued over £135 will attract import duty. Gifts worth over £36 sent between private buyers will also attract VAT. For info check www.hmrc.gov.uk
Camera inc P&P + Card currency change fee $ to £(£7.77) Total £267.52
Customs duty £9.28
Excise duty £0.00
Import Value Added Tax £52.05
Other £0.00
Clearance fee £13.50
Total £342.35

Camera posted on 12th June at 16:13 arrived UK 14th in customs till 18th, invoice for duty arrived on 19th (paid online) camera arrived 25th June 13:40.
Just checked the condition and functions and all is as it should be. All in all I am well pleased :-) Don't know what "other" is but I'm pleased it cost nothing.
Old 25th June 2014, 01:34 PM
Friend

Just as a matter of interest, Norm, what might a similar model cost from say U.K. e-bay, assuming your research covered such models from the U.K. e-bay.

I take it this was a private seller so some risk involved but no more than from a U.K. private seller and with only 600 shots the risk is small as it is practically new

Thanks

Mike
Old 25th June 2014, 01:38 PM
Friend

And thanks for the detailed costs as I've never been able to get my head around customs charges etc. Has put me off buying stuff previously.

Tony
Old 25th June 2014, 03:00 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O'Pray View Post
Just as a matter of interest, Norm, what might a similar model cost from say U.K. e-bay, assuming your research covered such models from the U.K. e-bay.

I take it this was a private seller so some risk involved but no more than from a U.K. private seller and with only 600 shots the risk is small as it is practically new

Thanks

Mike
I have followed prices on Ebay for a for quite sometime, the GA645zi cameras fetch anything from £230-£450 depending on condition. I have paid a fair price I do not consider that I have got a bargin, just thought I would let people know the costs involved. The seller was Sunise-photo, a 2 year warranty was offered at a cost but on reading the feedback I decided to take a risk. Of course it would have been great to buy one local in order to inspect it before buying but I kind of lost patience and made a bid.
Old 25th June 2014, 03:55 PM
Friend

I bought a lens from Japan ages ago.

what bugs me are those charges for second hand product.

And you are charged VAT on the duty.

Could have saved yourself some money

http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.or...hlight=GA645zi
Old 25th June 2014, 04:59 PM
Friend

I don't really mind paying tax and duty especially, as our hospitals and schools need paying for somehow. What annoys me is how on all non-courier imports Parcelforce have managed to install themselves as a third party and this are making about £10-20 per imported item by charging the recipient for the "service" of paying HMRC up front on behalf of the recipient, a service that none of us asked for and which benefits nobody except Parcelforce. Talk about having a license to print money.
Old 25th June 2014, 06:12 PM
Friend

So it travels 6000 miles in 48 hours and a further 240 hours to travel the last 300..

I know there are delays with customs and wotnot but seriously, 10 days of fannying about in THIS country...???
Old 25th June 2014, 07:54 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveP View Post
I don't really mind paying tax and duty especially
VAT on Duty ? That's paying tax on tax. They're taking the pee.
Old 25th June 2014, 09:00 PM
Friend

I'm kind of becoming numb to people taking the michael ever since I booked a flight and had to pay a "payment fee". That is, being charged a fee for paying for a flight, as if I was inconveniencing them by wanting to give them money in return for a service.

Tax on top of tax seems logical in comparison!
Old 25th June 2014, 09:22 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveP View Post
I'm kind of becoming numb to people taking the michael ever since I booked a flight and had to pay a "payment fee". That is, being charged a fee for paying for a flight, as if I was inconveniencing them by wanting to give them money in return for a service.

Tax on top of tax seems logical in comparison!
I've spent quite a bit of time working out in europe and on one occasion I needed a one way flight home. It was explained to me by the helpful BA person that it would cheaper to purchase a return flight than it would for a one way flight. So I bought a return.

And coming home from germany via switzerland and france it was cheaper to buy a return car ferry ticket from brittany to plymouth than a single.

Go figure...
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies