Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Photography in general

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 10th February 2016, 06:00 PM
Friend

Default Film database or catalogue

I am looking for a program that I can use to record my images on film in a way that allows me to search for a specific subject, or a film/developer combination etc. I do not need to use image files, just descriptions or keywords.
I want to record each frame's subject for each film.
Access or OpenOffice databases would be fine.
Any suggestions are appreciated.
Jon
Old 11th February 2016, 01:37 AM
Friend

this was something I looked at doing ages ago but abandoned the idea.

I rekon there are probably lots of mobile phone apps which will do it if you search google play.
Old 11th February 2016, 12:21 PM
Friend

Wouldn't a spreadsheet do? Excel or Calc etc are mainly front ends for a database anyway I think. There's also templates which you might tailor to suit or get an idea from.
http://templates.services.openoffice.org/en

Tony
Old 11th February 2016, 12:28 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonogmun View Post
Access or OpenOffice databases would be fine.
I doubt there is an Access program already out there. However, If one was familiar enough with Access, it should be easy to simply create a database, with the fields one needs.

Well, easy for me to say. That probably doesn't help, does it?
Old 11th February 2016, 01:09 PM
Friend

Thank you all for your comments.
I was looking for an easy way out but suppose that I will try to set up an Access database.
Argentum, I do have a "smartphone" but I am not smart enough to use it properly. I just manage to use it as a telephone. I guess it is my age.
Jon
Old 11th February 2016, 02:06 PM
Friend

There was an Access database called Photocat, it was excellent and upgraded OK to Access 2 but not beyond that as Microsoft changed the form of Visual Basic. I exported the tables as Excell files and started rebuilding it in Open then Libre Office but haven't had much chance to work on it lately. The Photocat name was used by another company later for an unrelated product.

It cross matched negatives with films, developers & actual processing parameter, then the same with prints and notes on dodging, burning etc, also linking to scans of prints.

I got very frustrated because Microsoft made Access almost unusable because it meant databases needed re-writing instead of simply upgrading.

Ian
Old 11th February 2016, 09:49 PM
Friend

Jon- I used Microsoft Excel many years ago to create my database, and it's held up well all this time because MS upgrades this app periodically and it's always maintained files created in earlier versions. Excel can SORT on any column selected, followed by a SORT on a different selected column (if necessary). Here's my system, to give you some idea of the level of detail chosen:

1) Created a file that defines my alpha-numeric designation for each Frame ID: XX-YY-ZZZZ where 1st X is a single letter B=b&w neg, C=color neg, T=transparency; 2nd X is format (e.g., 1=6x6cm, 2=35mm, etc.). YY=one or two letters that define location by state/province/region/etc. ZZZZ is the Sequence No. for each frame in the category. A hardcopy of this sheet is placed in the front of a 3-ring binder, so always at hand.

2) Created a separate Excel file with column headings for Frame ID / Page No. / Frame No. on the roll / Title with location specifics / Date of year taken. Column headings can also indicate film type & development details. The bottom row is the page number, which is the same as the first Frame ID entry on the page. Roll films are stored in a separate binder of contact sheets with sleeved negatives, each roll on its own numbered sleeve. Sheet films are stored in separate flip-top boxes, individually placed in sleeves and filed in order of Frame ID. Slides are filed in standard slide storage boxes with the Frame ID marked on each cardboard mount. I put a hardcopy of these Excel pages in the binder with the Frame ID system description, then pencil in the data as it becomes available and periodically enter the handwritten data into the Excel database. I backup this database daily on a thumbdrive now - just in case.

I've found that it takes some time to do this, but it saves a lot of time in locating a particular image in the system. But then I have CDO which is much like OCD except it's in alphabetical order as it should be.
Old 11th February 2016, 10:55 PM
Friend

Default Negative filing

I am actually in the process of re-vamping my system. It will be a while before it is complete - if ever, but will be workable in the meantime.

All my negatives both B&W and colour are being scanned at low res and the sheets are being given a unique reference number. The scans are then put into folders and using my ancient Photoshop 6, are made into thumbnails and printed onto sheets of plain paper. These are then given the same number as the sheet the negatives came from.

As each sheet, more or less, is for one individual subject or place, I can list these in numerical order that I can scan quickly to find what I want. I am still working on the best method of cross referencing them. I have a fair idea when a subject was photographed so it doesn't take me long to find what I want. Should the computer die or be unavailable, I still have a hard copy to work from
Old 15th February 2016, 06:33 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyMiller View Post
Wouldn't a spreadsheet do? Excel or Calc etc are mainly front ends for a database anyway I think. There's also templates which you might tailor to suit or get an idea from.
http://templates.services.openoffice.org/en
Absolutely. This would be a pretty simple database and Excel is perfect for the job. Also much easier to learn than Access if you are inexperienced. If you outgrow it over time any data you have in Excel can be exported to Access or any other relational database. Excel also has the ability to save data to text files with the .CSV extension. Just about any program ever written can read .CSV files.
Old 15th February 2016, 09:42 AM
Print Exchange Manager

I created my own relational database in Lotus Approach (does it still exist?) many years ago and still use it although I have upgraded to the '97 Version! It allows me to also record what I do with prints (rare now) - sell, exhibitions, competitions etc. I did try to recreate it in Microsoft Access but just couldn't get my head round it. I hate the way things that are constantly upgraded without any obvious improvements. Hence, I still use Windows XP (I still think Windows 98SE was better) and Office 2000 (Even Word in that tries to do what it thinks I should do and not what I want in terms of formatting)!
Mike
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies