Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Darkroom

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 17th June 2013, 11:18 AM
Friend

Default Darkroom equipment lust bought

I've just agreed to buy the following equipment for £30 am I making a mistake or is it as good a buy as it appears?

Quote:
This set of darkroom equipment includes a Prinz 500 Universal Enlarger with light bulb; a Paterson developing tank with 2 expanding spirals; Kaiser masking frame/ paper holder; 2 lenses; 2 film holders (2 ¼ ‘’ and 35 mm); a ‘Focuscope’ focusing aid; 3 Photax developing trays; 3 sets of tongs; 3 measuring jugs – 1 x 600ml, and 2 1 litre; 1 Jessop’s photographic thermometer; 4 film pegs and a film squeegee. All in working order
It seemed too good to be true and although I'm still getting my head around developing and that process I did take note of the advice that if something comes along grab it.

Erik
Old 17th June 2013, 11:34 AM
Friend

From Sheila in the Inverurie area by chance ?

The tank, trays, and measuring cylinders could quite easily cost £30 from some sources. The enlarger, whilst not the most modern of designs, should get you going - However, you will need to find a set of Multigrade filters or stick with fixed grade papers. Don't know if the Prinz has a filter draw, or whether you'd need to use an under-lens MG filter set.

One thing I would recommend - Bin the film squeegee. They are a constant source of trouble and you will end up scratching your films.
Old 17th June 2013, 11:43 AM
Friend

You got it in one Paul from Sheila in Inverurie

Can you explain more about under-lens MG filter sets and Multigrade filters.

I am an absolute beginner so I know nothing about these extra pieces

Erik
Old 17th June 2013, 11:54 AM
Friend

All very reasonable for £30. Pretty much all you need to get going.

If you use variable contrast paper you need filters in the light path to control the grade of the paper. they can go above or below the lens depending in the enlarger.

Edit: Looking at the picture it seems it has a filter draw above the lens in the 'dome' bit.

Last edited by Xpres; 17th June 2013 at 12:01 PM.
Old 17th June 2013, 12:22 PM
Friend

Multigrade (or Variable Contrast) papers are made up of two layers of emulsion. One layer is designed to give high contrast (typically Grade 5) whilst the other layer is designed to give a low contrast (Grade 0 or 00). The two layers are sensitised to respond to blue and yellow light, and by varying the amount of each, you can effectively get a paper grade anywhere between G0 and G5.

For those of us that have colour heads, it is a simple matter of "dialling in" the correct levels of Yellow or Magenta filtration according to tables provided with the paper. For conventional B&W enlargers using filament lamps (such as the Printz), Ilford and others manufacture gel filters to provide the correct balance of light. These filters can either sit in a draw above the negative or in a holder mounted to the lens - See SilverPrint for examples of Ilford's offerings.

Most MG papers will give a nominal G2 under white light, so you do not have to use filters - Indeed, it is advantageous to get consistent negs that will print normally at G2 and then you an use G0-G5 to fine tune your printing.

Which is best ?
I have a Durst L1200 with a B&W head which uses a set of gels in a draw. Also have a colour head that I can "dial in" the grade, but as the halogen lamp ages, the harder grades become difficult to reach. I also use a set of the under-lens filters with the colour head if I'm in any doubt as to the grade I want. I'm ambivalent towards which of the three I use - it depends on which enlarger is set up for the film format I'm working with..
Old 17th June 2013, 01:07 PM
Friend

well Eric you Vikings, buying thing instead of plundering them,,hee hee
it seems a good place to start, once you get into it you can start upgrading to more expensive gear , just don't forget to use that thermometer, its very important when developing film to get the temperature right ,when I use multi grade paper I always use the mg filters even the grade two ....have fun

www.essexcockney.com
Old 17th June 2013, 03:42 PM
Friend

Thanks again Guys for the help and advise your offering especially paulc and xpres. Big Paul we Vikings only plunder from our enemies so everybody who's friend is safe ..... for now

Erik
Old 18th June 2013, 11:30 AM
Friend

If you are on a budget Erik, both the drawer and the under the lens type filters come up on ebay regularly at cheap prices = just check the description to make sure they are in decent nick.

I personally bought an in the drawer set not long ago for just a couple of quid, to use in the Uni's darkroom.

I just typed into google: 'using Ilford multigrade filters' and got a lot of links = especially to the Ilford site where it describes the filters use as a good starting point:

http://www.ilfordphoto.com/aboutus/page.asp?n=117

http://www.ilfordphoto.com/aboutus/page.asp?n=116

Enjoy your new equipment!

Terry S

Tags
darkroom equipment, enlarger, prinz
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies