Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Chemistry > Manufactured brews

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 9th March 2009, 08:55 AM
Friend

Default Long exposures/Presyscol EF

Hello, I'm a new member of the forum but have a question about using Presyscol EF.

I am hoping to make some images in a nearby monastery. The interiors of the buildings, particularly the church, are very dark so I will undoubtedly have to use very long exposures and deal with the related reciprocity failure issues. One of these issues is the higher contrast in the negative which I would like to avoid as much as possible. I am intending to use Presyscol EF semi-stand for development as I have found it has a good compensating effect, however I don't know whether I should be diluting more than usual to increase this? Also should I be increasing the development time? Can anyone give me any advice please? I know I should go and test but the circumstances are fairly unique and I'm unlikely to be able to return.

I am intending to use either Fuji Acros or Tmax 100 for their good reciprocity characteristics. I've developed lots of Tmax in Presyscol so I am happy that they work well together, any thoughts on Acros?

Many thanks for your help.

David Whistance
Old 9th March 2009, 07:18 PM
Friend

Welcome to the forum David. Is this 35mm format, or larger?
Old 9th March 2009, 08:04 PM
Friend

Hello Dave, it will be 5x4.

David Whistance
Old 9th March 2009, 08:31 PM
Friend

My understanding is that Prescysol EF is intended for the smaller formats where it will give finer grain at the expense of less staining than standard Prescysol, but the difference is slight.

Since reduced dilution increases contrast, it’s possible that increased dilution will reduce it, but to what extent, and how far one can increase dilution before it runs out of steam, I cannot say with any certainty. I think a couple of test exposures will not be imprudent in the circumstances.
Old 9th March 2009, 08:54 PM
Friend

I've developed lots of 5x4 film in Prescysol EF and have been very pleased with the results. I know grain isn't generally a problem for LF films, however I like the very smooth look I get with this developer. Being able to develop different films together isn't a bad thing either - last week I mixed Tmax 100 and Adox CHS 50 without any ill effects.

I'll take your advice and try a few test sheets. As Acros is so expensive in Quickloads perhaps I'll just use Tmax 100 sheets.Idon't think Acros is available in sheets here in the UK.

David Whistance
Old 9th March 2009, 09:09 PM
Administrator

Welcome to the forum David.

As you probably know, Fuji Acros has one of the best reciprocity characteristics of any mono film, IMO a good choice for your purpose. I have had good results with Moersch Tanol with Acros (5x4) using a small Combi-Plan tank. I will try Precysol in this tank when the opportunity arises.

Unfortunately Fuji UK are stopping import of this film. However it can be bought from Japan in normal 5x4 and Quickload boxes. Sadly the current poor exchange rate has made this expensive.

Last edited by Barry; 9th March 2009 at 09:32 PM.
Old 9th March 2009, 10:41 PM
Friend

David If you haven't used either of the Prescysols with Fuji Acros before then have a look at the Prescysol thread. Peter Hogan himself has some important things to say about it. I don't think that it wasn't specifically Acros 5x4 negs that were being discussed in the thread when Peter made his comments and you may want clarification from Peter if possible on Acros 5x4.

Mike

Last edited by Barry; 9th March 2009 at 10:53 PM.
Old 9th March 2009, 11:21 PM
Friend

Barry, I've never tried Tannol, although I've seen it on the Moersch website. Have you tried using it on high contrast negatives? I was hoping that the nature of Prescysol would work in my favour giving me maximum compensation without too much experimentation on my part.

Mike, many thanks, I've now looked through that thread. Peter Hogan seems to issue a "health warning" about using Acros with Prescysol. On that basis I'll probably stick with Tmax as its reciprocity characteristics are almost as good as Acros and I know it works in Prescysol.

David Whistance
Old 10th March 2009, 08:58 AM
Friend

Hi David, and welcome to FADU. I think your choice of film (T-Max) is sound, given the long-term uncertainty of Acros. You're familiar with EF, so I don't think you need any advice, other than to stay with the normal dilutions, excepting for small variations you might make for fine-tuning...
Old 10th March 2009, 02:06 PM
Friend

Peter, many thanks for your advice. I'm surprised, but very pleased, that there is no need to further dilute Prescysol for exposures of this kind. What an amazingly flexible developer!

David Whistance
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies