Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Member Organised Functions > Business Matters

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 14th October 2013, 08:50 PM
Friend

Depends on what you mean by "use".

I "use" Facebook as a means to keep in touch with family and friends. I stay on it because I live in a different city than any of the rest of my family, but I now know more about my large, extended family than I ever did, even when I lived in the home city.

My wife is an artist (illustrator, painter) and is on Facebook and LinkedIn for both business and personal reasons, but with different accounts. It is common wisdom among her peers that it is essential in today's world.

Both of us have a kind of love/hate relationship with the online world. Lately, Facebook has devolved into mostly posts with links to other website reflecting the poster's political and/or religious views. It's too bad, but there you are. It is easy enough to ignore all of that, but it does take up a lot of space.

Neither of us tweet. That does seem to be nothing but narcissism. Thankfully in limited amounts.

In any event, these sites are what they are. Necessary? Maybe. Debatable. Harmful? Maybe. Probably not if one is careful what you do with them. I used to work in IT and internet security. One simple way to think of the internet - including sites such as this one - is that you are not sending a private letter, you are writing a very public postcard. Anyone, let me stress that: ANYONE, can read it. Plus, they can copy and share it. So, just be careful what you say. Civility goes a long way.

Cheers, y'all.
Old 14th October 2013, 09:42 PM
Friend

I use Facebook for keeping in contact with friends and not much else. I'm pretty lazy with my photography and promoting anything personal, photography wise. But then I don't do it to make money.

I print my photographs and stick them around my apartment. If anyone comes round then they can see them. I do have a website but haven't updated it in eons.

LinkedIn.. I have an account but don't use it.

Twitter.. I don't tweet.

With that said, I do run a large format photography blog which I have a facebook page for and a twitter account but it's push only, I don't interact with either of those things.

My blog posts automatically submit to twitter and facebook and that's it. I'm getting a couple of thousand views a week off the back of doing very little marketing. But it's a pretty niche blog.

If I was taking photographs for a living or blogging for a living, I would do all these things and take them seriously. They do make a difference. But as I don't, the time I have to myself, I would rather be taking and making photographs, making and drinking beer and interacting with friends.
Old 15th October 2013, 01:28 AM
Friend

It seems to this old bird that Facebook is for 13 year olds; I have never twitted and Linkedin is to me a pain in the patoot. I suppose if I was not semi-retired I would give one or more of them more of a shot but it would cause me to lose status as a Luddite.
Old 15th October 2013, 05:23 AM
Friend

I only observe Facebook and Twitter, mostly because I don't really know how to use them and have never had the urge to give time to finding out. Probably because I don't trust them.
Richard
Old 16th October 2013, 03:35 PM
Friend

I do not use ether. Just G+ and that is a stretch

http://photomi7ch.blogspot.com/

If you eliminate the impossible whatever remains no matter how improbable must be the truth.
Old 17th October 2013, 12:50 PM
Friend

we use Facebook mainly for our group:
https://www.facebook.com/afukcz

not yet much of a twitter (to be fixed soon)
https://twitter.com/afuk_cz

and of course the main website:
http://www.afuk.cz

and some LinkedIn presence:
http://www.linkedin.com/company/2978...cmpt%3Aprimary
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies