Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Colour Work > Colour film

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 2nd October 2014, 11:24 PM
Friend

Default Mixing different rolls in the same developing batch C-41

Hi everyone!

I don't have a wider experience with C-41 kits as I mainly process B&W negatives. I have used few times Tetenal Colortec C-41 and I just made a new sup recently to develop 15 rolls of Kodak Ektar 100 and Kodak Porta 160 (35 and 120).

My developing drum accepts only 3 x 35 mm or 2 x 120. So far, every time I have developed only the same type of negative in one process. I would like to ask if is possible to mix ...for example to develop in one go 2 x 35mm Porta and 1 x 35mm Ektar (or the other way around)? Also can I do 1 x 120 and 1 x 35 different negatives in the same time? My common sense tells me it shouldn't be a problem as are not different times like the B&W but I just want to be sure before I will go ahead.

Thanks in advance!!!!
Old 2nd October 2014, 11:50 PM
Friend

I don't do C41 processing, but I believe the time and temp are the same for all C41 films. That would mean you can mix different films like Ektar and Portra. You can definitely mix film sizes in the tank, if it is large enough. You would need to make sure you used enough of each chemical to cover the spirals you have in your tank.
Alex
Old 3rd October 2014, 01:45 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birbal View Post
I would like to ask if is possible to mix ...for example to develop in one go 2 x 35mm Porta and 1 x 35mm Ektar (or the other way around)?
All films marked to be processed C41 should be processed for 3m15s at 38°C (longer at a lower temperature). The C41 process was introduced in the early 70s and has become the standard for all types and brands.
Old 5th October 2014, 09:27 PM
Friend

I have developed many C41 films over the years and can confirm that JOReynolds is correct. I have often put two different films in the developing tank at the same time and it makes no difference.
I remember several years back that a friend of mine was charged extra for a film of 800 speed "because it's a special". Utter nonsense!
Old 6th October 2014, 04:23 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidH View Post
I remember several years back that a friend of mine was charged extra for a film of 800 speed "because it's a special". Utter nonsense!
if you're pushing it...

Btw, if you're reusing the fix/blix higher speed means shorter runs to exhaustion.
Old 6th October 2014, 03:34 PM
Friend

Thanks everyone for your replies! I would expected not to be a problem but just to be on the safe side. I have 7 more rolls to process and the last ones will be a mixture in the same tank.
Old 6th October 2014, 06:48 PM
Friend

Default an extreme exception...

I was once advised that the formulation and replenishment rate for C41 developer assumed that a mixture of brands and types would be processed in it. I ran into a process control problem when a large quantity of (from memory) Kodacolor Slide Film was processed in a 22.5 litre tank - batch after batch. This was a negative-working film, without an orange mask, for making slides from negatives.
As the processor supplier, I was blamed for the change in characteristics over time and it was quite a headache, because I couldn't find anything wrong.
I don't think such film exists any more, so the problem shouldn't recur.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies