Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Locations > Great Britain

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 10th August 2015, 08:13 AM
Friend

Default Hastings area.

I'm going to be in Hastings for a few days next week. It's a part of the country I don't know at all. Any pointers to some interesting locations? I'm particularly drawn to buildings, structures, boats etc in various conditions of decrepitude. I'm travelling by public transport but i don't mind walking.
Old 10th August 2015, 12:19 PM
Friend

Hi Rob,

I was there a few weeks ago. There are some odd looking "multi story" black painted fishermans sheds at the east end of the town. The cliff railway gets you up to the castle. There are 2 cliff railways and you need the west one to get to the castle. The east one takes you up to an area of parkland giving good views of the town. The railway itself is quite photogenic. On the shingle beach at the east end there are various boats pulled up. The streets have some old buildings but can be very crowded, especially at this time of year.

Regards,

Mark
Old 10th August 2015, 07:02 PM
Friend

I envy you, it is 16 years since I was there when I lived in Sussex.

If you are with a set of wheels, then a trip about 20 miles to the east and turn right to Dungeness you are in a unique landscape of shingle old shacks, old shacks used as houses, derelic boats and rare plants. Officially designated as Britians only 'desert'. There are 2 lighthouses and the Romney Hythe and Dynchurch Railway and a cafe at the end of the line Usually pretty deserted as well, as there is no proper beach and there can be a severe undertow when the tide is coming in.

Iif you are lucky to get fine weather with lots of clouds (Not total cloud cover) spectacular seascapes are the order of the day. Especially if you can get hold of some Infra red film and the correct opaque filter.

You will need good shoes, or the shingle will certainly mean bruised toes and possibly sprained ankles.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies