Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Locations > Great Britain

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 30th March 2017, 09:21 AM
Friend

Default The West Highland Way - Scotland

Dear travelers,

I'm planning to walk this track in the end of May.

https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/west-highland-way.shtml

It's from Glasgow (Milngavie) to Fort William.

Does anyone have any experience?

thanks
Old 30th March 2017, 12:46 PM
Friend

No real practical experience apart from around the Bridge of Orchy to Loch Tulla, but reading about it, the most difficult section is after Glencoe over the hills towards Fort William. The path can be very slippery after rain and there are some quite steep sections going up and coming down.

I was up there again last month and there were quite a lot of red deer, both Stags and Hinds which did not appear to be too worried about human presence. I was able to get as close as perhaps 10 yards before they moved away slowly. This was just after the car park at the end of the road leading to the private house.
Old 30th March 2017, 01:19 PM
Friend

I haven't done it, but it starts not too far from where I live, and I'm familiar with the route. Some people have complained about the section along Loch Lomond. I'm not sure why, but I think it can be difficult underfoot. Also, the bit John mentioned which is near the end has a reputation for being tricky. Having said that, I know several people who have done it and found it very enjoyable. It will be busy at the time you've chosen, so try to get your accommodation arranged early. The other thing to be prepared for is the insect called the Midge! You may know them, but if not, they are tiny flies that swarm around in thousands and bite! You need some sort of defence like a repellant spray, etc. The weather should be good at that time of year. I hope you enjoy it.
Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 30th March 2017, 02:51 PM
Friend

Smile Hazards

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexmuir View Post
I haven't done it, but it starts not too far from where I live, and I'm familiar with the route. Some people have complained about the section along Loch Lomond. I'm not sure why, but I think it can be difficult underfoot. Also, the bit John mentioned which is near the end has a reputation for being tricky. Having said that, I know several people who have done it and found it very enjoyable. It will be busy at the time you've chosen, so try to get your accommodation arranged early. The other thing to be prepared for is the insect called the Midge! You may know them, but if not, they are tiny flies that swarm around in thousands and bite! You need some sort of defence like a repellant spray, etc. The weather should be good at that time of year. I hope you enjoy it.
Alex
When you are out on the walk, if there is a wind above 5-10mph they cannot fly, so it could very well be midge free. Also if you are walking with female company, the midge far prefers ladies blood to a mans!!!
Old 30th March 2017, 08:41 PM
Friend

You should go hiking in woods here in Canada. We have mosquitoes large enough to carry off pets and small children....great swarms of them. Come over for a visit....you'll love it! As opposed to the Scottish Midge, however, they seem to greatly prefer my blood over anyone else's -- whether human female, other males, or any gender of quadruped.

Sincerely,
Scratchy
Old 31st March 2017, 06:41 AM
Friend

Thank you all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by John King View Post
No real practical experience apart from around the Bridge of Orchy to Loch Tulla, but reading about it, the most difficult section is after Glencoe over the hills towards Fort William. The path can be very slippery after rain and there are some quite steep sections going up and coming down.

I was up there again last month and there were quite a lot of red deer, both Stags and Hinds which did not appear to be too worried about human presence. I was able to get as close as perhaps 10 yards before they moved away slowly. This was just after the car park at the end of the road leading to the private house.
About the path, I think it maybe be similar like in the Snowdonia in North Wales. I was there many times to do rock climbing. But sometimes when the rain starts you must be very careful. But on the other hand, after rain it's time for some black and white film. The sceneries are beautiful.

Deer? Wow that's what I called experience, but sometimes it should be dangerous. You never know right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexmuir View Post
Alex
Not to worry about weather, but yes the insect I know very well. It's better to go to the pub!
Does any insect repellent works? I never be so lucky, mabye I bouught wrong one! Sometimes I feel that repellent draw them to me. But anyway they are lurking everywhere in the Scotland. So I hope for windy weather.

Accomodation for me is like wild camping, So I will do the wild camping, but I know that there are some places around Loch Lomond that are restricted right? So I'm going to use official camp site for sure. I just respect the nature and national parks. Can I buy any guidebook in Milgavie? Map isn't problem but to know other thinks like camp site or shops.

And what isn't good about that part along Loch Lomond? Like tricky route or what?

Also I will try to hike the Ben Nevis from Glen Nevis. Do you know how long it takes? There is also Charles Inglis Clark Memorial Hut. It's like base for local rock climbers right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SvendN View Post
You should go hiking in woods here in Canada. We have mosquitoes large enough to carry off pets and small children....great swarms of them. Come over for a visit....you'll love it! As opposed to the Scottish Midge, however, they seem to greatly prefer my blood over anyone else's -- whether human female, other males, or any gender of quadruped.

Sincerely,
Scratchy
Thanks for a tip. I rather prefer highlands with some rock to climb But I'm sure that there are many places in Canada which is good to visit. But there are also more bears than men right? So maybe in the future!
Old 31st March 2017, 07:29 AM
Friend

I had to check myself, and found that Gen Nevis is at the foot of Ben Nevis and by line of sight will be no more the 1500mtrs but with a drop of about 2500 mtrs.
Some years ago I drove up as far as I could go and I remember there were warning signs that it was dangerous to attempt to climb here.
Old 31st March 2017, 10:09 AM
Friend

There are two midge repellants I would choose. My preferred option is Autan. You may know it anyway. I use the stick, rather than spray. The other is Jungle Formula, which is a spray. If you're camping, it might be worth getting a midge net that you wear over your head. You can fit it over a hat if you like and it protects your head and neck. I would definitely get one if I was camping here in summer. I'm not sure about outdoor shops in Milngavie, but there are several in Glasgow, and Fort William. For information about camping you could look at the Loch Lomond and the Trossachs National Park website, and also Visit Scotland. Both should give you useful information. You could also look online for a guide book dedicated to this walk. I wouldn't count on getting much in Milngavie. Although it is where the walk starts, it is better known as a wealthy suburb of Glasgow, rather than a centre of outdoor pursuits. The outdoor shops in Glasgow would be your best bet for books and equipment. There is a big shop just north of the city centre, and just off the M8 motorway. It's run by a company called Tiso, and I think this branch is called the Outdoor Experience. They also have a shop in Buchanan Street which is 5 minutes walk from Glasgow Central Station. There are others in and around the City.
Alex
Old 31st March 2017, 11:06 AM
Friend

I haven't climbed Ben Nevis, but asked my brother who has. He is an experienced hillwalker and climber. He recalls it took him around 3 hours. He said that the path is good.
Alex

Old 31st March 2017, 12:56 PM
Friend

Someone should warn the OP that Milngavie is pronounced "mull-guy", with the accent heavily on the second syllable. He might not get there, otherwise 😨
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies