Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Colour Work > Colour film

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 24th August 2010, 09:51 AM
Friend

Default C41 developing

Hi all

I'm hopefully going to have to process some portra 400 120's and 5x4's soonish, not a massive amount, maybe 30 sheets and 15 rolls, and not all at once.
I've a cpe2 and tanks/reels.
Any tips or tricks?

Cheers
Richard
Old 24th August 2010, 10:31 AM
Friend

Hello there. If you're doing BW the C-41 is no more difficult, maybe simpler: standard time and temp. (which the CPE is taking care for you) . I usually do a 2' pre bath in tempered water (37,8°C) to prepare the emulsion. Diluting the stabilizer in distilled water helps against drying water marks, I add some wetting agent to the solution for good measure (the water here is pretty hard).

Cheers, M.
Old 24th August 2010, 11:36 AM
Friend

The only tips I would give are to watch the time / temperature with the developer like a hawk and to be very careful with cross contamination of the chemicals. Other than that it is pretty straightforward. Please don't forget to let us know how you get on as many here are interested in colour work..

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 24th August 2010, 11:48 AM
Friend

It is difficult to work out what tips and tricks encompass from your point of view but assuming you aren't looking for info on chemicals then the only thing I would add to what has been said is that if you are reasonably skilled with tank loading and have a "red divider" on your reel for 120 film you might want to load two films together on the same reel. It will take a little longer to do but it gets you two films developed at once and overall saves times.

On the other hand if you haven't done any C41 developing for some time then you might want to load only one film to start with to ensure that your processing is spot-on. There is no reason why it shouldn't be but if you are conservative and cautious like me then the first film on its own might make sense.

Let us know how it goes.

Mike
Old 24th August 2010, 12:09 PM
Friend

Thanks all.

I've just been reading posts at apug on the Rollei c41 kits. Some users report brilliant capacity of the solutions, long shelf life of both fresh/working solutions, and predictability.

So on the strength of that, I've just ordered from Ag some film and the smallest Rollei kit. I'm planning on doing a few tests as soon as I get them.

Anyone noticed any dev issues such as edge density build up using the 2x120 film spirals in a Jobo? I've had B+W films done that way, and I've seen negs that have been denser towards the edges, or in other words, locally over agitated. Anyone notice density nasties in any way with c41?

Cheers
Richard
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies