Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Locations > Great Britain

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 16th January 2011, 09:20 PM
Friend

Default Holiday in England

We have been thinking about spending a week of our summer holidays in England, more specifically in Devon or Cornwall. I need some advice on specific areas that has good photo opportunities and are suitable for small children. We are looking for self-catering accommodation, preferably in a rural area.

Trond
Old 16th January 2011, 10:54 PM
Friend

Quite frankly, Trond, the whole of both Devon and Cornwall are photo opportunities. The Atlantic coast of Cornwall is particularly good. The Padstow, Boscastle, Tintagel area is very good. Public transport isn't very good so you'd probably need to be near the coast if you have no car then the self catering would need to be on the coast and therefore more expensive and having no transport limits your travel.

It's a long way to go if you bring a car from Norway( best part of a whole day from Newcastle to Devon or Cornwall). I'd be tempted to hire one for the week once you arrive and then you can get self catering a few miles inland where it is cheaper.

Anyway there are a few West Country( Devon and Cornwall) natives here and they'd be better informed than me but I have stayed several times in Camelford and like that area.

Mike
Old 16th January 2011, 11:27 PM
Friend

The rural areas tend to be inland which means if you want the coast for the children you will be travelling each day and parking the car. Rural areas that are worth looking at (with photography in mind) would be Dartmoor, Exmoor and Bodmin Moor. But having said that nearly any where in Devon and Cornwall would be fine provided you keep away from the cities and large towns. Each of the counties will provide a vast amount of self-catering accommodation to choose from.

If you can be a more specific about the sort of photography you wish to do and your plans for entertaining your children it would be easier to provide some advice.

Neil.

Neil Souch

Last edited by B&W Neil; 16th January 2011 at 11:30 PM.
Old 17th January 2011, 12:28 PM
Friend

Quote:
It's a long way to go if you bring a car from Norway( best part of a whole day from Newcastle to Devon or Cornwall).
Sadly the car ferry between Norway and Newcastle ceased operating a few years back. Now you have to go via Denmark and Harwich. Having lived in Devon many years ago I would vouch for the need of a car.

Les
Old 17th January 2011, 12:54 PM
Friend

I've only been to Cornwall once, for 5 weeks, living in Padstow, Bude, and Newquay. Your kids will probably like Newquay best of the three but, if I was to return, it would be to Padstow, which was a lovely little town. I was there 15 years ago, so things may have changed somewhat. But I would imagine that the pasties are still good.

As for your (long) journey getting there, have you considered flying. With the price of petrol over here, it might be a more economical option than travelling by ferry and then driving from the East coast.
Old 20th January 2011, 10:18 AM
Friend

Thanks for the replys and suggestions everyone!

We will most certainly fly to London, and there rent a car. This will probably be in week 29 ( 16-24 of July).

Can we expect to find accomodation there and then, or should we book in advance?

Because of space restrictions, I will most likely be using 35mm with a couple of lenses and a light tripod. I'm mostly into (semi-abstract) landscape photograpy, when I'm not photographing my family ;-).

Trond
Old 20th January 2011, 10:25 AM
Friend

Hi Trond,

If you are looking for accommodation in either Devon or Cornwall then do book it in advance as both of these counties are very poplar holiday areas.

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 25th January 2011, 07:01 PM
Friend

My favorite bit of Devon & Cornwall is the very bottom bit - around The Lizard and Lands End

Almost everywhere is rural in Cornwall & Devon

Great beaches for the children and has almost limitless photographic opportunities

However, it is a long way (500km) from London (aprox 5hrs in a car - almost all Motorway/fast Dual Carriageway)

These are the people I use to book a cottage/flat/house - http://www.westcornwallcottageholidays.com/

You will need to book early and July/August are the peak holiday months.

If you can get here in late May or June the prices are not so high and the roads are quieter

Have fun

Martin
Old 25th January 2011, 08:34 PM
Friend

My own experience of that area was thoroughly spoiled when my car was broken into near a disused tin mine not far from Tintagel. I lost two SLRs that day.
Old 13th February 2011, 06:34 PM
Friend

Thanks for your help and suggestions. We have finally booked our summer holyday, and we ended up in Dawlish. We are really looking forward to it!

Trond
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies