Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Reviews > Books

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 21st November 2013, 10:10 AM
Friend

Default Books for Christmas...?

I mean books about, or of, photography. What reading matter would you like in you stocking this Christmas morning?
Put your letter to Santa here and perhaps he'll read it...

I was looking earlier in the week and found a new collection of John Berger essays that would have been an ideal stocking filler to put on my list, but temptation got the better of me and I bought it...

I think I'd like a big book of brass lenses. Loads of info on all of them, and how they look in a photograph, in one mighty tome... maybe Santa will write one.
Old 21st November 2013, 12:22 PM
Friend

I got my wife to buy me 3 books for Christmas:

Sad Landscapes: Josef Sudek
Behind the Mountains: Ragnar Axelsson
Last Days of the Arctic: Ragnar Axelsson

Although I have ordered them on her behalf, and they will be delivered before Christmas I am not allowed to have them until Christmas day

Still, I have bought a few for myself lately so will have to content myself with them.
Old 21st November 2013, 06:04 PM
Friend

I am band from buying any more books so I have banned Christmas

http://photomi7ch.blogspot.com/

If you eliminate the impossible whatever remains no matter how improbable must be the truth.
Old 21st November 2013, 08:39 PM
Friend

Still working my way through the last purchases!

“Reaching a creative state of mind thru positive action
is considered preferable to waiting for inspiration.”
- Minor White, 1950
Old 22nd November 2013, 02:41 PM
Friend

The Great Life Photographers and Joe McKenzie's Pages Of Experience are on my list . . and the Aperture Minor White Years looks interesting, but v expensive . . . I am running out of space for books of all varieties . . .
Old 22nd November 2013, 04:45 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdBray View Post
I got my wife to buy me 3 books for Christmas:

Sad Landscapes: Josef Sudek
Behind the Mountains: Ragnar Axelsson
Last Days of the Arctic: Ragnar Axelsson

Although I have ordered them on her behalf, and they will be delivered before Christmas I am not allowed to have them until Christmas day

Still, I have bought a few for myself lately so will have to content myself with them.
You lucky devil! That Ragnar Axellson is some photographer. Saw a T.V. programme about him, and a friend has one of his (expensive) books, which I've had a peep at. Wonderful photographs.

Alan
Old 22nd November 2013, 05:23 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Clark View Post
You lucky devil! That Ragnar Axellson is some photographer. Saw a T.V. programme about him, and a friend has one of his (expensive) books, which I've had a peep at. Wonderful photographs.

Alan
I love all types of Photography Technique and Photographer related books, I have several doubles from having purchased additional books not realising that I already had a copy at home.

I am always searching Amazon, Albris and Ebay for interesting books either on photographic technique or of images by other photographers and when we go on holiday I am always on the lookout for secondhand book shops where I might find the odd bargain (used to be better before the advent of the Internet when the booksellers were not always sure of what they had).
Old 22nd November 2013, 05:42 PM
Friend

I know what you mean Ed. I have had some gems from a second-hand bookshop near me in Helmsley. They always have a good selection of photography books.
Saw a very interesting book this week in Waterstones in York. "These Faces" by Timothy Neat. Environmental portraits. Worth a look. I may order it for Christmas...

Alan
Old 22nd November 2013, 06:01 PM
Friend

We stayed in Helmsley earlier this year for a couple of nights, spent a very cold day in Whitby when the train we were due to go home on was cancelled and we had to wait for a coach, the next 30 minutes took about 10 years off my life as the youngish driver was throwing the coach around across the Yorkshire Moors. Didn't visit the bookshop, but we did visit the Indian restaurant
Old 22nd November 2013, 06:11 PM
Friend

It's always cold in Whitby Ed!

Alan
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies