Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Member Organised Functions > Members Announcements

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 10th January 2015, 10:10 PM
Friend

Default Updated and expanded website

I've added considerable content to the website. It will get some tinkering/editing down the line, but I'm giving it a rest for now.

www.silverdarkroom.net
Old 11th January 2015, 09:52 AM
Administrator

Nicely laid out site David which I shall return to.
Old 11th January 2015, 01:58 PM
Friend

Well done David, I have been toying with the idea of setting up a website for some time now, making time to do the job is the most restricting factor. How many hours would you say did it take to get to the stage you are at?
Old 11th January 2015, 02:28 PM
Friend

I can't answer directly for David, however what I can tell you is that his site is using the default wordpress theme plus some gallery plugins.

The wordpress install requires you to create a MySQL schema(DB) which most web hosts provide for, then the wordpress install which is free and takes all of 5 minutes and then you have a working website.

Then what takes the time is the learning curve of how to use wordpress, the difference between posts and pages, the loop, find and install the image gallery plugins you want to use, how to configure menus, create pages, create posts, understanding the editor and media manager, finding a theme/template you want to use, whether it needs to be responsive (works/scales to work on mobile devices including phones) and whether the plugins you have used are responsive etc etc. And then actually uploading your content.

The good thing is you can just install the basic pckage in 5 minutes, Then you can play with it to your hearts content for as long as you want.

The not so good thing is that it really was designed as blogging software and is not great at handling image galleries/portfolios but if you spend the time researching the plugins available and get the right one then its pretty good.

Tip: If you view the html source of any wordpress site you look at you can usually see which plugins its using for image galleries.

OR

There is a very very popular free framework called Bootstrap for which there are many themes available and a multitude of Jquery gallery plugins. But this requires more programming of Html and Css so if you don't know those then wordpress is easier until you want to change the way something works. i.e. deviate from how a plugin or theme was designed to work.

Last edited by Argentum; 11th January 2015 at 02:46 PM.
Old 11th January 2015, 04:56 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argentum View Post
I can't answer directly for David, however ...
And yet ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodOldNorm View Post
Well done David, I have been toying with the idea of setting up a website for some time now, making time to do the job is the most restricting factor. How many hours would you say did it take to get to the stage you are at?
Making the time is indeed one of the issues.

I have no idea how many hours I've put into it. The actual learning and manipulation of the software will depend on your overall computer skills and your comfort with trying new things. I would hesitate to comment on that. So, "it depends".

I can say that there was much more time put into the content. It takes time to write, and to prepare scans for posting to the site. It's been done over several months (the website is six months old).

Choosing a hosting service and software is a bit like choosing anything else. Analog/digital, B&W/colour, which developer, etc. Yes it is Wordpress. I am not a big fan of Wordpress, but it is workable, and it was provided by my web host for free. There is other free software out there, but I chose to take the path of least resistance and use the package provided by my host, where between my wife and I, we have multiple websites and blogs. This made it easy to integrate everything.

At some point I will spend some time (which I have not had in the past) and research other templates besides the "default" that might make the site look better (subjective) or, at least, different.

Good luck if you decide to put up a site!
Old 11th January 2015, 05:38 PM
Friend

These people are very good for web hosting. Top company. I have several clients with them and have had zero problems. Good telephone support too which is a rarity.

http://www.zen.co.uk/home-office/hos...b-hosting.aspx

You might also consider a UK hosted service which I think quite a few people here use and is designed specifically for photographers / artists to display their portfolio (and more). Very economical and takes all the leg work out of getting a website setup. You just pick a theme and you're up and running as soon as you upload an image or two. Just make sure the theme is "responsive" which means it works on mobiles too.

https://www.clikpic.com/

OR

maybe something like http://koken.me/ which is photographer centric and quite easy to use. Free too unless you want buy a more advanced theme but you can make your own if you have the skills. The free defaults are pretty good.

Last edited by Argentum; 11th January 2015 at 05:46 PM.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies