Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Cameras - Pinhole

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 19th April 2012, 12:52 PM
Friend

Mitch,
I've made three over last two yeras from MDF. I started with paper negatives before building last camera to take 4x5 sheet film. I also altered an old Canon AE1- with limited sucess.

However, I've been having significan trouble getting the 4x5 camera to 'work'; it requires long exposures and the image is pretty fuzzy (although to be fair I've reduced its focal length twice now by sawing it in half but without reducing the size of the pinhole.

I was getting pretty frustrated about it and bought a holga-pinhole. It works well enough, but is only 120 format and feels like cheating.

My aim was to make images with homemade camera, paper and emulsion. Still very much working on it. Frustratingly good fun.

I'm very glad this section has been started.

Niall
Old 19th April 2012, 02:28 PM
Friend

I have a Zero 2000 6x6 pinhole camera. The 1st time I used it on a tripod it blew over & damaged a corner. I think this put me off a little so its sat & done nothing since. Maybe this is the inspiration I need.
Old 19th April 2012, 02:35 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
...Extreme stinginess is the mother of invention!
Phil
Works for me but our local tipple means dandelion and burdock cans rather than Irn Bru I made my pinhole camera from a crisps cardboard tube. So far, all the pictures have either failed or come out as curious abstracts. I blame my inexperience and insufficient darkroom facilities and am working on both. I did buy a Kodak box brownie no.2 at a Darlington charity shop for conversion to a pinhole but I just can't bare to butcher it !
Old 19th April 2012, 03:25 PM
Friend

I've adapted a couple of boxes to work directly with positive paper, but results are not of my pleasure.

I guess I should keep trying...
Old 19th April 2012, 05:13 PM
Friend

I own a Zero Image 5x4 Deluxe and love it.
Old 20th April 2012, 05:17 PM
Friend

I have a number of pinhole cameras tucked away, including a couple of nice wooden ones that I bought, a few I made myself out of various sized boxes and lids and a couple of lens caps to fit my various Pentax SLRS = which I've tried on both film and digital cameras.

From what I remember when I lasted used them, they all gave very good sharpness, with the pinholes quickly made from a bit of foil being amongst the best and the laser cut ones being the softest! So I do wonder how accurate all these tables are and if we should bother so much trying to find the best size and how to achieve the correct sized one? It could also be taking a little bit of the fun out of the whole operation, don't you think?

Now that I'm settled into my new darkroom, I will have to get all the bits out again, along with some of the prints, if I can find them and then do a whole new set of negs and prints and compare them all, with the best of the best of the best and the worse of the best(?) put on the new gallery for all to see.

Terry S
Old 20th April 2012, 11:35 PM
Friend

MY humble pin holes cameras [ four ] are all based on wrecked cameras from the Bay.with DIY pin holes in beer can alloy.

working with paper and film to arrive at the best combination of focal length and pin hole sizes for results that I like.

lots of work, not a lot of progress but great fun.

Bobrob.
Old 21st April 2012, 09:41 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by big paul View Post
I have never had or used a pinhole camera and at the moment I have no interest in doing so, BUT I would like to hear about other people using pinhole cameras , and maybe I will have a go. so good luck with your new thread and looking forward to reading and seeing the results .
if you forget to wind on what about a motor drive
I use a rubber band attached to the rear of my push bike, as I ride away it winds on

http://photomi7ch.blogspot.com/

If you eliminate the impossible whatever remains no matter how improbable must be the truth.
Old 21st April 2012, 04:08 PM
Friend

I have a converted Franka Rolfix 120 pin-hole and a box-file pin-hole in which I use paper negs plus from time to time I make a matchbox pinhole camera - great fun and nice results.
Old 21st April 2012, 07:44 PM
Friend

I love my Zero 6x6, I even use it while walking around Manchester. I do not use a tripod in the city as I can often find a wall or something to use.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies