Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Photography in general

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 12th February 2009, 07:56 PM
Friend

Default Reprinting Negatives

Does anyone have a negative that they keep returning to? Reprinting and looking for a fresh interpretation. The reason behind asking this question, is regrettably I do have one such a neg, and I hope I’m not the only one who indulges in this kind of pursuit. The neg in question was taken about 10yrs ago on HIE, and is of two fishing boats tied up along side an old building. But it acts like a beacon to me, and sometimes when I have time at the end of a session, I’ll experiment, and search for the definitive version that so far has eluded me. Hopeless cause? Maybe, and perhaps I should lay it to rest and move on. What I think I have proved, is that as photographers we are the worst judges of our own work.

www.davidlingham.uk
Old 12th February 2009, 08:42 PM
Friend

we probably all have negs we keep tryuing toinprove on,I have 3 that I seascapes that I know can be improved upon, I get them out at times and try, one day perhaps I will get the perfect prints from them Richard
Old 12th February 2009, 09:18 PM
Friend

Unless the film is properly exposed negs can drive you round the twist in trying to get a decent print. The old adage "trying to make a silk purse out of a sows ear" springs to mind. I've been there, done that and have no print to show for it. I expect to repeat the journey as long, as I work in the darkroom despite my own belief that sometimes it is better just to move on.
Old 12th February 2009, 09:25 PM
Friend

Yes, I have a few that I've reprinted and a couple more that I intend to reprint soon. My emotions to the original printing can change over time. I only tend to do this with photographs that have some importance to me.

When I saw the exhibition, 'Ansel Adams at 100', there were a few images that he had reprinted again at a latter date. It was interesting to see the original prints along side his reprints.
"To the attentive eye, each moment of the year has its own beauty, and in the same field, it beholds, every hour, a picture which was never seen before, and which will never be seen again" Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Timespresent
Arenaphotographers
Old 13th February 2009, 10:41 AM
Friend

I am afraid I do not have such a negative as once I have worked on them I want to move on and tackle other things. Sometimes I re visit the same locations over again trying to improve on an already good shot but largely I find this activity achieves very little, unless new compositions on the same subject can be found. So I am always looking for new ground and only re visit the past occasionally.

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 14th February 2009, 08:59 PM
Friend

I am with Trevor on this one

There are a few Negs that I do return to occasionally, to see if I can make a "better" print.

The Negs in question are some of my personal favourites.

Is the "better" print really better or more in tune with my current emotional state - have not got a clue - although others might have their opinions.

If it’s any consolation Ansel Adams spent years printing and reprinting Sunrise at Lone Pine and never felt he got exactly the print he was looking for.

Martin
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies