Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Photography in general

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 3rd March 2015, 06:00 PM
Friend

Default All About Film: Ilford FP4+

Hello,

David Hancock, a very good 'YouTuber', has started a wonderful series reviewing various films. He begins the series with Ilford FP4+.

I really enjoyed and learned many useful things. You can see the introduction and plan of the series here. If you have any suggestion, please do so over there. That way people like me will benefit more from FADU experts.

Bests,

Ashfaque
Old 4th March 2015, 07:16 PM
Friend

The YouTube presentation was useful from a devotee's viewpoint but it was good to hear someone enthusing about a homegrown product. But I found it much too subjective. A series like this could be very valuable to FADU members if it was rigorous - but, so far, it ain't.
Apparently similar products were compared (Tmax 400 vs Delta 400 for instance) without numbers. Shadow detail of Tri-X was evaluated against HP5+, with HP5+ winning, but without supporting evidence.
One of the problems facing traditional photographers is choosing sensitised materials. The differences between competing emulsions of similar box speed are very subtle and are unlikely to show up in typical pictorial work. Comments please?
Old 4th March 2015, 08:29 PM
Friend

As someone who uses FP4+ all the time, I can't believe I wasted 6 minutes and 20 seconds of my life watching this.

Last edited by cliveh; 4th March 2015 at 08:33 PM.
Old 4th March 2015, 09:18 PM
Friend

It was subjective which is OK but he needs to make it clearer that it is his opinions and even then supply some of his own evidence even if it may not meet the standards of a scientific analysis.

To be fair to him he is young and enthusiastic which is a combination that can overlook the need for more rigorous analysis.

The main thing is that newcomers to film do not take everything he says for granted as fact but there's a chance they may

On balance though I'll have a look at his next review to see what he says

Mike
Old 4th March 2015, 09:25 PM
Friend

If you fall asleep during the film, it seems much shorter. When I was awake, I saw some negatives with very noticeable dust spots and hairs. Why do people choose to share their work with the world without cleaning it up ?
Old 5th March 2015, 09:12 AM
Friend

Yes, it is quite subjective and based on his own preference. I liked the bit where he explains the colour graph (spectrum) in relation to various colour filters. Most likely, as Mike said, it is useful for novices (like me). I hope the next ones will be better.

Bests,

A

Tags
developer, developer choice, film process, film review, fp4+
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies