Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Chemistry > Manufactured brews

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 10th January 2020, 04:34 PM
Friend

Question New Developer Formulas.

I noticed on the Kodak website that they have reformulated both HC-110 and T-max film developers. Does anyone know why and what the benefits are over their predecessors?

https://imaging.kodakalaris.com/phot...chem-tech-info
Old 10th January 2020, 06:10 PM
Friend

Keith, I don't know about what the changes to T-max are but there was a long thread on changes(or not?) on Photrio on HC-110. I'd love to be able to summarise but frankly I can't - at least not accurately .

Unfortunately once anything on Photrio gets beyond a couple of pages then there is a tendency for threads to "lose their way"

If I recall correctly HC-110 may be less syrupy than it was and the longevity for which it was renown may or may not be affected. As this stuff is legendary in terms of its keeping properties then it may be some time before there is any reliable evidence on whether this has changed either slightly or more than slightly or indeed not at all

For what it is worth I suspect that even if there is a slightly adverse change in longevity then depending on how many films you develop and over how long a period you may see no difference even if its life is slightly shorter

Mike
Old 10th January 2020, 09:53 PM
Friend

Keith,

The HC-110 change was made in 2017 so has been well discussed by HC-110 users. I have been using the 'new' HC-110 since around 2018 and are still using the same dev times for the old HC-110 and getting the same excellent results.

It does feel a bit less gloopy than the original but thiis makes it easier to measure for dilution. Keeping quauities have been fine with me but I do get through a liter every 1.5 to 2 years. That's good enough for me.

Cheers,

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 11th January 2020, 02:05 PM
Friend

The formulae were changed because of the complexity of manufacture and lack of equipment when the actually sub-contract supplier changed.

Ian
Old 11th January 2020, 02:19 PM
Friend

HC-110 was indeed changed drastically in late 2019 - probably when changing the company that makes the stuff (I hear it is now made in the US again). Instead of the very stable syrup it used to be it is now more of a "conventional" liquid-concentrate developer (possibly containing water when previously there was none). It will probably work just as well with the same times but whether or not it can be kept in an open bottle for years and years remains to be seen. To answer your question, Keith: There is probably no benefit to the end user nor the environment...

Last edited by maltklaus; 11th January 2020 at 02:23 PM.
Old 14th January 2020, 11:55 AM
Friend

Thanks for clarifying. I was thinking that perhaps Kodak had made some improvements to their formulas. Glad to see that they mention equally good results to the previous products.
Old 17th January 2020, 02:51 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O'Pray View Post
Keith, I don't know about what the changes to T-max are but there was a long thread on changes(or not?) on Photrio on HC-110. I'd love to be able to summarise but frankly I can't - at least not accurately .

Unfortunately once anything on Photrio gets beyond a couple of pages then there is a tendency for threads to "lose their way"

Mike
I just had a look at that thread. (Very Long).

From the comments by Bill Troop, it looks like Ilfotec HC might be the better choice, particularly as it is more viscous like the older HC-110 product. I have no idea how they compare quality wise having not tried either of them, but suspect that they produce near identical results.
Old 17th January 2020, 03:17 PM
Friend

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O'Pray View Post
Keith, For what it is worth I suspect that even if there is a slightly adverse change in longevity then depending on how many films you develop and over how long a period you may see no difference even if its life is slightly shorter. Mike
It would also help if they talked sense as well. Once they divert off track they just start to ramble and don't make complete sense.
Old 17th January 2020, 03:21 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Tapscott. View Post
I have no idea how they compare quality wise having not tried either of them, but suspect that they produce near identical results.
That is my suspicion as well. Even on Photrio I can't recall seeing any posts about Ilfotec's quality being less but there are a few questions now on the "new" HC 110 longevity but I have yet to see a scientific analysis that proves that its less syrupy nature reduces its life.

I should add for balance that I have not used any of the three(old HC 110; new HC 110 or Ilfotec)

Mike
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies