Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Photography in general

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 29th December 2021, 09:45 PM
Friend

Default Chieko Shiraishi - "Rag wipe retouching"

First of all - thanks to Svend for his post on Sabine Weiss. Loved her photos and the link led me to this photographer - Chieko Shiraishi

https://pen-online.com/arts/the-deer...nderful-world/

And down the internet rabbit hole I went. Seems she uses a technique called "zokin-gake" (apparently loosely translated as "rag wipe retouching" ) where she coats the print with a black carbon wash on oil then selectively wipes it away to achieve the effect she's looking for. Very interesting and I did manage to find a video of an image being worked on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xga...CfZixF_F3s6toA

Hope you enjoy
Dave
Old 29th December 2021, 10:26 PM
Friend

Interesting, Dave. Just a pity there was not enough subtitles to help explain what was being done and strangely not a single comment underneath.

I take it that the "wash/covering" was just petrol? and whatever poppy oil. Then the lamp black ( what's that - an oil based paint?) was applied with some dark green paint? It wasn't clear how long this application can be left after the wash but it looked like it needs to be immediately?

What was different about the pencil-like stick being rolled in a woolly cloth? from a cotton bud

Finally I take it that the finish eventually dries totally and is permanent?

It would be nice to know the answer to my questions just out of curiosity but frankly the finished print was not different or attractive enough in my view to make the effort worthwhile

Mike
Old 29th December 2021, 11:06 PM
Friend

I think you would have to see the original material, but like Mike, I’m struggling to see what all the work in the video achieved. I do like the initial series of landscapes with Deer.
Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 30th December 2021, 02:59 AM
Friend

Not much information for sure and like you say, a lot of effort. Hard to tell from the video what the finished product is like.
Old 30th December 2021, 11:04 AM
Friend

I should have said in answer to Mike that Lamp Black is a pigment. It can be an oil paint, but occurs in other types of paint and elsewhere. In the video, it appears to be an artists paint of some sort, although not necessarily oil paint. I think the green is added in lesser quantity to produce the warm tone black of some photographic prints. I don’t think the ‘petrol’ can be the same as used to fuel cars. It would be too dangerous and unhealthy to use. I presume it’s a solvent used to thin the Poppy Oil.
Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 30th December 2021, 05:34 PM
Friend

I just looked it up on the Holbein Artist Materials site and you're right. Spirit of Petroleum is a thinner.

I'm thinking I might give it a try if I can find the materials ok - not sure what paper to use but hey - what could go wrong?

Regards
Dave
Old 30th December 2021, 07:02 PM
Friend

Pétrole is the French word for (crude) petroleum. The artists' pigment asphalt, sometimes derived from pétrole, is typically thinned with gasoline (petrol). It was formerly used as an alternative to rubber solution (Cow gum) to hold back water-based bleaches and dyes in retouching. It is/was sold by La Pébéo, a major French supplier of artists' materials.
Old 31st December 2021, 12:24 PM
Friend

I googled "zokin-gake" and found, among other useful information, this article. The process made me think of carbon printing in a way.

I do of course know that it's nothing like carbon printing as a process; but the result is reminiscent.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies