Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Monochrome Work > Monochrome Film

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 17th May 2022, 12:43 AM
Friend

Question Ultrafine Finesse 100 35mm Bulk B&W experiance

Hello new friends,

and maybe a few old friends... First post here. I did try to search here so no pitchforks and torches please

Great emojis!

Anyway, has anyone used this film and have any comments on it?

I've seen a lot of fans of the Ultrafine Extreme. Very little on the Finesse. I searched the whole inner-web thang from end to end and all I found for Finesse was one chap that posted the first few he developed and no comments or follow up photos after refining his process. Maybe he will soon

I'm trying to get something less expensive (in the US) to roll my own and learn on. I'm new to developing film too. My first roll was HP5 and I had light leaks in my not-so-darkroom (fixed). Of course I made a lot of mistakes, but I saw images and escaped with most of my fingers. After fixing the darkroom leaks, I developed a roll of FP4 that came out better than I expected. No magazine covers yet. That takes time

I'm thinking about ordering the film loader and some cassettes from B&H, so that would get me above 50 USD to get their free shipping. They have a pretty good selection of 100 ft bulk film, from around $65 to $105 for Arista EDU, Foma, Kentmere, Rollei, and Ilford (HP5 and FP4).

The Finesse is 50 USD plus 10 shipping and a longer wait. Not in a huge rush, I still have another roll of FP4 to develop and Delta100 to finish shooting. But unless I hear some yummy goodness stories about this film, I am inclined to pass on it and get something else.

Our summer daylight can be pretty intense when it's not raining or at least heavy overcast. With my old slower cameras, I think 100 ISO would be best for summer. My X-700 goes to 1/1000 SS and even it made me stop down more than I wanted. My older and very crude rangefinders do 1/300 SS in theory So I might just go for the 105 USD FP4. I like the amazing exposure latitude. But I can be swayed. I really like some of the photos I've seen taken with the Rollie Retro films... but do I have the skills now Oh, I tend to like softer grain. I'll probably want to shoot more grainy film once I have better control of things in the darkroom. I doubt I'll ever print anything, just scan the negatives.

Love to hear opinions. Especially love to hear opinions for the Ultrafine Finesse, but I expect that film will be slow to take off if it ever does. Very unlikely to be popular outside the US.

I wish all good light outside and dark rooms inside.

Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies