Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Darkroom

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 28th May 2011, 01:55 PM
Friend

Default Repair of Paterson Super System 4 tank

I was just going to load up a tank with a film. As I lifted the black plastic lid there was a cracking sound and the red plastic rim started to shift as well.
I have got another tank, so no it's not the end of the world. However I would like to know if this has happened to anyone else before?
Did you manage to glue the ring back down satisfactorily?
It seems that this red ring is what the plastic lid grips to make a liquid proof seal.
Old 28th May 2011, 03:04 PM
Friend

I did drop one once and caused some minor damage to the lip. I repaired it with super glue and this lasted a few weeks. Not the tank's fault of course but I ended up chucking it and buying a S/H one off the auction site.

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 28th May 2011, 05:07 PM
Moderator & Keeper of the Calendar

Hi Neil,

I had the same problem of a red ring parting from the body. Following advice on the forum (a search may find it) I used Uhu to glue it back in place. That was about a year ago (I think) and I am still using it. Just be frugal with it as it slightly melts the plastic and I had difficulty for a while getting the funnel lid to lock but it does work.

Hope this helps.

Bill
Old 28th May 2011, 05:16 PM
Friend

Just replace it rather than repair it would be my advice. The last thing you'd ever want is to ruin some potentially beautiful negs.

“Reaching a creative state of mind thru positive action
is considered preferable to waiting for inspiration.”
- Minor White, 1950
Old 28th May 2011, 10:37 PM
Friend

I had the inside of a lid separate over 30 years ago. I was given some industrial strength acrylate adhesive to fix it. Its still going strong after all these years. However, I was not that well paid 30 years ago so these days I would dump it and buy another.
Old 29th May 2011, 09:28 AM
Friend

Is it the ring which seals the join between the lid and body which hs come loose? most of mine are loose and I just put it back in place when putting the lid on.

Steve.
Old 7th June 2011, 10:51 AM
Friend

Coincidentally, after reading this thread lst week I managed to drop my large tank in the dark and break the red rim. It will not be repairable.

So I looked on our favourite auction site and found a new, 5 (35mm)/ 3 x 120 reel tank - complete with 5 reels for 26 quid.

There's nine left. Link: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=230627096043

Hope of use.

Niall
Old 7th June 2011, 01:07 PM
Friend

I have glued the red ring on two of my tanks with UHU, and they are still going strong after many years. So yes, if the ring is coming off, it is repairable.

Trond

Tags
developing tank, paterson, super system 4
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies