Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Monochrome Work > Monochrome Film

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 20th October 2017, 01:11 PM
Friend

Default Help me choose a bulk 35mm 100ft roll asa 100 film

These are my choices for 35mm asa100 100ft/30.5m rolls (prices Morco Photographic)
Kentmere 100 £41
Fomapan 100 £44.20
FP4+ £60
Delta 100 £65

I may also consider Foma 200 £49.20 if anyone recommends it.
Your thoughts and opinions please.
Old 20th October 2017, 01:33 PM
Friend

I have used Delta 100 quite a bit in the past, and I have a part-used 30m roll in my loader at the moment. I tend to rate it at 80, but it probably doesn’t make a huge difference. It is a really nice film and, obviously, of high quality. It is also the most expensive. My preference would be the Delta, or FP4+. You could try a roll of each in your preferred developer, and with similar subject matter. That may help you choose.
Alternatively, just purchase the one you are most attracted to, and make it work for you. None of them are poor films, and the first two are a good price.
Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 20th October 2017, 01:36 PM
Friend

Personally I would get the Fomapan, either 100 or 200, I use Fomapan all the time, for me either 400 or 200, I have not used any other film for at least 15 years, I get box speed easily with both 400 and 200, I develop in Rodinal, for 120 at box speed 14 minutes at 1/50, and 13 for the 200 at box speed 1/50.
Richard
Old 20th October 2017, 02:31 PM
Friend

hi Norm I presume you have used all them films before ,the cheapest film I have used is kentmere ,and I found it to be a great film I only wish that they would bring it out in other sizes ,so my vote is for kentmere 100

www.essexcockney.com
Old 20th October 2017, 03:02 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by big paul View Post
hi Norm I presume you have used all them films before ,the cheapest film I have used is kentmere ,and I found it to be a great film I only wish that they would bring it out in other sizes ,so my vote is for kentmere 100

www.essexcockney.com
Hello Paul, how does the grain size compare with FP4+, also Whilst trawling the net I am sure that I have read that Kentmere 100 is a low contrast film that lacks punch can anyone confirm this?
Old 20th October 2017, 03:28 PM
Friend

I am no expert but I would say its similar to fp4 ,I have been using DD-x to develop all my films and kentmere comes out nice with that developer ...at the end of the day its made by Ilford so it wont be cheap rubbish ,but I suppose it all comes down to personal taste ..
Old 20th October 2017, 06:56 PM
Friend

Fomapan 100 is 35 euros from my supplier so a lot less than £44.20.

It's a very nice film I use it in 120 and 5x4 also 7x5, and it's likely my first choice when I next buy 10x8 film.

However Foma films are a touch quirky they build ip contrast extremely fast in development, you need to do some simple speed/dev time test to find the best EI and dev time that suits you. Once yu've done that you have a reliable film.

Buy a couple of rolls first and test your film choices.

Ian
Old 20th October 2017, 07:15 PM
Friend

Norm, Sharif Photographic Supplies sells Foma 100 in 30.5m (100ft) for £39.90 so £4.30 cheaper than Morco. Still not as cheap as Ian's supplier mind you.

Who do you use, Ian and what does the postage charge work out to be?

Thanks

Mike
Old 20th October 2017, 08:52 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O'Pray View Post
Norm, Sharif Photographic Supplies sells Foma 100 in 30.5m (100ft) for £39.90 so £4.30 cheaper than Morco. Still not as cheap as Ian's supplier mind you.

Who do you use, Ian and what does the postage charge work out to be?

Thanks

Mike
I would think Ians supplier is Fomafoto, certainly they sell the bulk length at 35 euros, they are based in Norway, so I would think that to the UK it would be expensive for just a single pack, I have bought from them once a while ago and while the film itself is cheaper the postage was high, I get all my film from Process Supplies, it is always in stock thanks ti Martin Reed, who imports all the foma stuff though Process,
who are one of our sponsors, also, AG import the Foma film and might be a little cheaper, worth a look,
Richard
Richard
Old 20th October 2017, 08:58 PM
Friend

You can get both Fomapan and FP4+ in 17m lengths, if you want to experiment with both. I am planning to get one or the other shortly, having been using a 30m roll of Kentmere in my "new" Leica since early this year. Possibly one or two quality control issues with the Kentmere compared with the Ilford films.

Last edited by Michael; 20th October 2017 at 09:05 PM.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies