Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Chemistry > Manufactured brews

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 3rd May 2019, 02:34 PM
Friend

Thumbs up Adox FX39 II

I recently tried a bottle of this developer along side Fotospeed FD10 and found both developers to be good all-rounder's from the few films I have processed with them so far.
I wanted to get away from mixing dry powder film (D76/ID11) developers for a while and I am just experimenting at the moment.

FX39 II is claimed to keep much better than the original FX39.

https://www.fotoimpex.de/shop/images..._4_MSDS_EN.pdf

So far I am quite impressed with new FX39.
Old 3rd May 2019, 03:09 PM
Friend

Keith, is FX39 the brew that is optimized for tabular films? I seem to recall reading about it in Anchell & Troop's book. They said it gave very sharp results, if my memory is working today. What films did you use it with?
Old 7th May 2019, 09:41 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SvendN View Post
Keith, is FX39 the brew that is optimized for tabular films? I seem to recall reading about it in Anchell & Troop's book. They said it gave very sharp results, if my memory is working today. What films did you use it with?
Only 35mm FP4 Plus and Delta 100 so far SvendN. I meant to give a link to dev times rather than MSDS. Sorry for that mistake.
I thought the FX39 would give noticeably coarser grain than FD10 but it seems to be just as fine.

There's nothing wrong with D-76 and ID-11 developers, but I am looking at liquid concentrates for convenience. Despite being designed for T-Max, Delta and Acros type films, I wouldn't hesitate to try it with conventional films.
Old 7th May 2019, 02:18 PM
Friend

Hi Keith, thanks for the feedback.

I had a look at Anchell and Troop's chapter on high-def developers, and there is a whole page devoted to FX-37, incl. a formula. It seems like FX-39 may be similar, but not identical, and is perhaps the commercial version(?) of FX-37 (I can't confirm that). They agree with what you noted - that it is formulated for T-grain films, but works well for non-tabular films also. Might be worth a try at some point. Would be interesting to try with PanF, esp. in 135.

I'm presently doing some testing with HC-110 as an alternative to Rodinal, which I wasn't happy with. We'll see how that goes, but if it also doesn't fly with me, then one of these FX versions might be next.
Old 8th May 2019, 02:52 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SvendN View Post
Hi Keith, thanks for the feedback.

I had a look at Anchell and Troop's chapter on high-def developers, and there is a whole page devoted to FX-37, incl. a formula. It seems like FX-39 may be similar, but not identical, and is perhaps the commercial version(?) of FX-37 (I can't confirm that). They agree with what you noted - that it is formulated for T-grain films, but works well for non-tabular films also. Might be worth a try at some point. Would be interesting to try with PanF, esp. in 135.
The difference seems to be that Adox FX39 is an M.Q formula and more concentrated than the self mixed FX37 which a P.Q formula.

I have no idea how they compare, I am simply looking for something sold as a liquid concentrate which gives nice clean sharp negatives with fine-grain that are easy to print.
Old 8th May 2019, 03:33 PM
Friend

Have you ever tried ILFORD's DD-X developer?
Old 9th May 2019, 10:30 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Kershaw View Post
Have you ever tried ILFORD's DD-X developer?
Yes I have Tom. It's a good developer but a little pricey. It's one I may reconsider.
Old 9th May 2019, 04:19 PM
Friend

Yes DDX is good and still a bit pricey so little has changed, except that relative to some other developers such as Xtol it does seem to have remained fairly static in price. It was a favourite of mine until I discovered Xtol which in recent times has got more expensive.

So in comparison to some others I don't think it is as pricey as before.

Mike
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies