Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Member Organised Functions > Negative Printing Exchange

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 21st March 2022, 10:27 PM
Friend

Default Negative Exchange, multi-format?

I'm placing this in a new thread for clarity, as some of the discussion on Negative Exchanges is contained in very long threads which need quite a bit of reading.

The history:
Neg exchanges have attracted a great deal of interest and discussion, and previously ran successfully on FADU.
http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.or...ex.php/cat/571

There was a lengthy gap between rounds 4 and 6 (Round 5 being incomplete).

We currently have an active exchange in progress (Round 7), which is confined to 35mm negatives. The 35mm limit was agreed with participants based on two notions:
  1. Almost everyone has access to 35mm
  2. Keeping the exchange simple would promote interest.
This does, though, have the potential to exclude some FADU members. It has been raised in the thread for R7 that we do have members who use only larger formats.
This I understand, as the bulk of my shooting is on 6x6 and 5x4. I make very little new 35mm work, and for the exchanges I have used older negatives taken from my files.

For discussion:

Round 7 completes in April.

For Round 8 I think we should open participation to other formats.

To do this I would need to know two things:
What formats a participant can print.
What size of negatives they themselves might send for the exchange. I wouldn't say "will send", as that would be too restrictive.

When a participant PMs me their contact details they would also include this information, something like:

Please include me for the next round. My address is XXXXXX, I can enlarge 35mm, 6x6 and 5x4
I'll be sending either a 5x4 or 6x6 neg.

This would be a little more work, and someone might still want to send an 'odd' size neg (subminiature, 6x17) which nobody else can handle. However, I can at least then have a PM discussion about other possible matches which might let that member participate. For example, would someone accept a 10x8 or ULF negative for contact printing?

Personally, I think it is worth a little extra effort to make the exchange more inclusive.

Suggestions?

Problems?
Old 21st March 2022, 10:36 PM
Friend

It's a good idea, skellum and should do as you intend which is to extend the range of participants

To be honest I am not currently a participant as will be obvious to current participants but not because it is 35mm only. I haven't always got the motivation to print my own stuff so I fear I'd have the motivation to print others' negs

Best of luck in this endeavour to increase inclusivity

Mike
Old 22nd March 2022, 12:27 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by skellum View Post

For discussion:
Round 7 completes in April.
For Round 8 I think we should open participation to other formats.

Dear Colin,

thank you - I'm glad to get a chance to enter the Negative Exchange.

Personally I would love to share large format, but I am aware that this is not a large format forum.
I also will gladly send and print media format 120.

I also could bring a larger one for those who want to handle or contact print first time, and I will be satified enough by getting back a smaller one.

Last edited by Reginald S; 22nd March 2022 at 12:37 AM.
Old 22nd March 2022, 05:10 AM
Friend

Dear Colin,

I may enlarge everything up to 6x6. I would accept something larger I can make a contact print form, up to 18x24 cm².
I'll send 35 mm or 6x6.
Old 22nd March 2022, 08:09 AM
Friend

Good morning everyone. I suspect we will see familiar names in many rounds of the neg exchange. What I can do is keep track of which formats regular participants use. When I call for interest in Round 8 I will ask if members are happy for me to do that.
I don't think there's any danger that having a wider choice of negatives to pick from will make it harder to participate.
Old 22nd March 2022, 12:38 PM
Friend

I'm up for it again, as I'm nearly ready to return negatives and prints from the current round!

I currently shoot mostly 6 x 4.5 on 120 film, but am currently finishing a 35mm film and hope to get out with either or both my 6 x 6 Rollei / 35mm (but 120 length negatives) Panoramic horizon, very soon, whilst the weather is good. I do have a 5 x 4 camera and film but have not got around to testing / using it yet, so I'll leave that until a future round.

Terry S
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies