Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Photography in general

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 11th April 2022, 12:09 PM
Friend

Default Denser negs with too much developer used

Over the weekend I developed a roll of HP5+ in home mixed ID11 /D76.

Using the last of it in the bottle, I realised that I didn't have enough for a 1+1 dilution, which is my usual go to. Having loaded the film of 120, I checked the MDC and used it at the 1+3 dilution. The chart's 1+1 dilution recommendations normally gives me negs that are just right for me to print, so I was happy to follow the 1+3 recommended time.

Upon unreeling the negatives, I noticed them to be quite a bit overdeveloped, with the rebate being denser than normal.

Then it came to me, I had loaded a 35mm film, but had used enough developer to develop a roll of 120. A roll of either 35mm or 120, with a 1+1 dilution is quoted at 13 minutes and 1+3 is quoted at 20 minutes, with the developer at 20C.

So, are the times for 1+3 too long, or does using more developer than required, over develop a film?

Terry S
Old 11th April 2022, 01:18 PM
Friend

The dilution rate would equate to the same ratio of water to developer regardless of whether you poured in 500ml for 120 film or 300ml for 35mm,wouldn't it? Or am I thinking about this the wrong way?
I've used that dilution before with D76 - and for the very same reason, but I don't recall my developing time being that long. I'll try and dig up my notes - it was a few years back.
Old 11th April 2022, 01:28 PM
Friend

Okay, I have no empirical help to offer as I see that the film I did this with was Fuji Neopan 400. 1+1 is 9min 30sec. 1+3 is 15min.

Having just developed my first roll of HP5+ in 35mm, I do have to say that I find the rebate garish and overly busy with that barcode like pattern.

I'm used to the Neopan - clear, concise and elegant, or Tri-X which, in 35mm, gives me annoyingly dull edge markings. HP5+ in 35mm is VERY bright and busy by comparison, but I'm guessing you're used to that?
Old 11th April 2022, 01:35 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molli View Post
The dilution rate would equate to the same ratio of water to developer regardless of whether you poured in 500ml for 120 film or 300ml for 35mm,wouldn't it? Or am I thinking about this the wrong way?
Thanks for the posts Molli.

And yes, that's the way that I thought as well, but I'm waiting for someone to tell me different. I'll have to make sure I know which film I'm developing next time, which would help I'm sure!

Terry S
Old 11th April 2022, 01:48 PM
Friend

I exposed and developed a roll of Fuji Acros 100 a few years ago thinking it was Shanghai GP3 100.
So, first I massively overexposed a lot of them because GP3 has excessively bad reciprocity failure - and, of course, I wanted to make use of that as a "feature" not a bug. Acros needs no correction out to two minutes. Oops.
Then I came home and developed it for fourteen minutes instead of the 10m30sec needed for Acros.

From memory, I believe I had to use the light from an arc welder's blowtorch to print from those negatives 😁

Live and learn!
Old 11th April 2022, 01:59 PM
Friend

Based on what you've told us Terry, I'm tempted to ask about how the film was metered and exposured?

“Reaching a creative state of mind thru positive action
is considered preferable to waiting for inspiration.”
- Minor White, 1950
Old 11th April 2022, 02:07 PM
Friend

I normally develop 35mm films in 500ml solution. It shouldn’t make any difference to the density.
Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 11th April 2022, 05:01 PM
Friend

Well the MDC times are what Ilford gives at 1+3 but you may know this anyway, Terry. I agree with the others that what you did should not have resulted in dense negatives unless the exposure was more than it should have been

If previous home-made ID11 gave OK negs with HP5+ then has anything changed such as camera, meter etc to affect the exposure given?

Mike
Old 11th April 2022, 05:34 PM
Friend

This may seem far fetched Terry, but when you brew your own developers, have you noticed any increase in development activity, as you reach the end of the bottle?

Does the mixture become 'heavier' towards the bottom of the container during storage?

Do you mix the developer thoroughly before each use?

“Reaching a creative state of mind thru positive action
is considered preferable to waiting for inspiration.”
- Minor White, 1950
Old 11th April 2022, 06:12 PM
Friend

Increased development should produce very dense highlights, but the shadows should look fairly normal. Over exposure will make the whole negative look dense. Depending on the range of tones in your negatives, it should be possible to work out which effect you are seeing.
Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies