Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Darkroom

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 12th January 2012, 08:26 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O'Pray View Post
Just a pity that square paper is so difficult to get hold of. I am not even sure anyone does square paper any longer.

With 8x10 and a square neg the best you can do is about 7.5 square with borders and waste a fair amount of paper per print.

Mike
I disagree, a 5x5 print on 10x8 can look quite nice. Please insert own arty term in place of "quite nice".
Old 12th January 2012, 12:27 PM
Friend

It's all down to perception, Dave. A 5x5 print on a 8x10 would look very lonely to me.

In terms of size and framing maybe you and I would be like the Paul Hogan lager advert. He looks at what he thinks is a mess and says: "Struth, what's that?"

The art lover says in a very emphatic voice: "That's a Jackson Pollock"

Hogan says: "My sentiments exactly"

Mike
Old 12th January 2012, 02:05 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
I disagree, a 5x5 print on 10x8 can look quite nice. Please insert own arty term in place of "quite nice".
would "Juxtaposition" be the word you're looking for
Old 12th January 2012, 02:43 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argentum View Post
would "Juxtaposition" be the word you're looking for
No thanks.
Old 12th January 2012, 07:15 PM
Friend

I thought not
Old 14th January 2012, 03:29 AM
Friend

Default More time ?

Hi DebraW.

If you are doing a lot of prints at those sizes it would pay to look into a lower wattage lamp / bulb as this will give much better control over “timing” and may even be desirable for your bigger negatives and bigger prints giving more time for dodging and burning.

Regards

Rob
Old 16th January 2012, 10:23 AM
Friend

Thanks Rob, that sounds like a good plan.
Old 17th January 2012, 01:22 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argentum View Post
I think you are possibly thinking that the colour dials have the same density change as the ND dial on a durst. They don't. Only the ND dial on a durst is calibrated in density units, hence 30 being equal to a 1 stop change.
I think the colour units may be more closely calibrated to CC filter units (kodak Colour Correction units) in colour printing but I'm not sure about that.
Have been reading up on colour printing. It seems that CC filtration units combine to provide neutral density. So in theory if you add 30cyan + 30 magenta + 30 yellow, you get 1 stop of neutral density / 50% of the light. What that would do to a black and print I'm not sure but in theory it may work. I'm sure someone will try it.
Old 17th January 2012, 03:20 AM
Friend

checked the durst published factor values for an L1200 and it doesn't work out exactly and there is a bigger variance if you add 60 units of each instead of 30 units. So I conclude that for a Durst L1200 which goes upto 130 units, those units do not correspond to Kodak CC units so not much use trying it on a durst L1200. But an L1200 with a CLS 501 head has a two stop ND filter anyway.
If you have enlarger which goes upto 200 units of colour filtration it may, if you are lucky, correspond to Kodak CC units but I would be surprised if there was any accuracy in it.
Old 17th January 2012, 07:14 AM
Friend

The units on my CLS 66 colour head only go up to 100 and as far as I can see there is no published data for it online or in my instruction manuals.

One day I may get around to experimenting but for now I'm still learning my way around the darkroom. However if someone else tries to figure it out I definitely won't complain.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies