Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Cameras - Large Format

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 19th October 2020, 10:21 AM
Friend

Default How many here use ev numbers when spot metering a scene?

How many here use ev numbers to calculate the subject brightness range of a scene when using a spot meter? Any tips references to apps or charts welcome.
Old 19th October 2020, 11:46 AM
Friend

I've done that for decades starting with a Weston Master V, Spotmeters and Profisix.

Some cameras allow setting the EV and changing the shutter speed or aperture changes the other as the EV locks. Although my Rolleiflex E2 has a lockable EV I never use the EV readings to set the camera just measure the differences in stops.

Ian
Old 19th October 2020, 11:50 AM
Friend

My Pentax digital spotmeter reports EV numbers that you then transfer to the calculator dial.

Best thing i did was add a Zone scale so that i can quickly dial-in the Zone III settings and see where any bright parts may fall out of the film/developer normal capabilities and whether expansion or contraction is required.

I think i got it from Ralph Lambrecht's Way beyond Monochrome book.

Mike
Old 19th October 2020, 12:27 PM
Friend

I've done the same with both of my Pentax Spotmeters, the old faithful V and the newer Digital.
However, it's not required, for me, on the Gossen Starlite 2 as that is designed to show the Zone System markings as an optional extra by setting the dip switches. For Zone System work it's easier to use than the Sekonic L-758 (and much smaller, too). The L-758 has all the bells and whistles and kitchen sink.
Old 19th October 2020, 12:45 PM
Friend

Norm, make that another Yes from me. I have a little Sekonic spot meter with EV scales. I use it all the time to check brightness range. Very easy way to figure out correct exposure. I also have that Rolleiflex EV system on my 3.5C that Ian mentioned, but I never use it.
Old 19th October 2020, 03:33 PM
Friend

Default Hand held metering

I seem to remember that a Minolta Spotmeter, and definitely on my current Minolta Autometer 3, all have facilities to swap between Shutter/F number or EV number all at the flick of a tiny switch. They are directly transferable to my Minolta Autocord
Old 19th October 2020, 03:40 PM
Friend

I love EV's! Transfer to my Blad and Rollei.

I don't have a beard, I can't play the piano, therefore I have no hope of being a photographer.
Old 19th October 2020, 03:58 PM
Print Exchange Manager

I use a Pentax Spotmeter which mpirie said gives the readout in EV nos which make assessing brightness range and correcting for filters a doddle as it involves only one figure.

Mike
Old 19th October 2020, 04:24 PM
Friend

There is a chap on EBay selling ZoneCharts for Spotmeters if you need help visualising the tones - https://www.ebay.com/itm/152893121509

It might be helpful.

There is also a "Beyond The Zone System" app for an i-Phone, that you can use in conjunction with your Spotmeter.

Martin
Old 20th October 2020, 11:00 AM
Friend

I also use EV’s in order to determine SBR and exposure placement.

However, to take full advantage of spot metering, SBR and the zone system, this really needs to be combined with film development.

“Reaching a creative state of mind thru positive action
is considered preferable to waiting for inspiration.”
- Minor White, 1950
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies