Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Darkroom

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 2nd May 2019, 05:31 PM
Friend

Default Dry Mounting Press wanted

Dry mounting press anywhere? Any size. Buyer will collect, UK mainland. Send PM.
Old 2nd May 2019, 06:51 PM
Friend

There are a couple of dry mounting presses on the auction site.

They're a bit far away for me to collect, but are certainly closer for you.

Mike
Old 2nd May 2019, 07:26 PM
Friend

tea shirt press javascript:;
Old 2nd May 2019, 07:34 PM
Friend

well that didn't work,, t shirt press looks like they would work ,have a look on ebay they look quite cheap
Old 3rd May 2019, 11:25 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by big paul View Post
well that didn't work,, t shirt press looks like they would work ,have a look on ebay they look quite cheap
I followed a discussion on some forum, a while ago now, about exactly this point. It's worth having a quick search to see if you can find it.

There were negative and positive points put forward, but no one had either bought or used one for mounting prints. I think the general consensus was that...

1. the t-shirt press might get hot enough and...

2. they look a lot flimsier than the actual solid metal presses, which are made for the purpose. Personally I got one couriered from ebay, and I couldn't believe just how heavy it was. It is now in the darkroom, where it will stay unless I hire a forklift to move it!! YES, they are that heavy.

Terry S
Old 3rd May 2019, 11:40 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry S View Post
Personally I got one couriered from ebay, and I couldn't believe just how heavy it was. It is now in the darkroom, where it will stay unless I hire a forklift to move it!! YES, they are that heavy.
That's why most that come up for sale state collection only.....the cost of shipping any distance would probably exceed the value of the press itself!

Mike
Old 3rd May 2019, 01:30 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpirie View Post
That's why most that come up for sale state collection only.....the cost of shipping any distance would probably exceed the value of the press itself!

Mike
Luckily, I had a seller that charged a very reasonable (at cost?) carriage charge via one of the many couriers that are available now. And the packaging itself (which was slightly over the top, given the item) probably added to the overall weight and took me about half an hour to take off.

But I rarely send bulky items via the Royal Mail now, because they can be so expensive in comparison to the newer courier firms. It's always worth doing a quick check, as the difference in prices can be astonishingly different!

Terry S
Old 3rd May 2019, 01:30 PM
Friend

there is a video of one being used to flatten FB paper ,but I have tried to put a link to it but me and computers don't get on well together ,they don't like me and I don't like them
Old 3rd May 2019, 03:08 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry S View Post
I followed a discussion on some forum, a while ago now, about exactly this point. It's worth having a quick search to see if you can find it.

There were negative and positive points put forward, but no one had either bought or used one for mounting prints. I think the general consensus was that...

1. the t-shirt press might get hot enough and...

2. they look a lot flimsier than the actual solid metal presses, which are made for the purpose. Personally I got one couriered from ebay, and I couldn't believe just how heavy it was. It is now in the darkroom, where it will stay unless I hire a forklift to move it!! YES, they are that heavy.

Terry S
I've had an old Ademco dry mounting press for over 30 years but in reality it's over kill with modern dry mounting materials which need much lower temperatures. The problem is the full heat of an older Ademco Press can damage RC papers, they are fine for FB papers because that's all that was available when they were made

Lion Picture framing demonstrate dry mounting with Hot Press Dry mounting presses and these use thick glass to transfer the heat.

It's quite possible the Presses used for T-shirts etc will work OK but you'd need to try one first, they can go way hotter than the 88º-93ºC needed for the Dry mounting tissue Lion sells.

Ian
Old 3rd May 2019, 10:15 PM
Friend

I put my print in-between two mount boards ,my mounting press is turned up high and I press for 35seconds then I put them under a book with a weight on top ,or a big book every couple of pages I put a print ,I find a David bailey book works the best ,but you can choose your favourite photographers book
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies