Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Member Organised Functions > Business Matters

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 15th October 2009, 02:49 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by mono-inthedark View Post
There has been quite a few books written about this including one I remember reading years ago entitled; "How I made a million from my Mamiya," or something like that. It certainly wouldn't hurt doing a bit of general reading on the subject first

Neil.
Many thanks for the tip Neil. I've just ordered my copy from Amazon! My Mamiya is looking scared . I'll certainly keep researching on the subject...
Old 15th October 2009, 03:32 PM
Friend

Ok, and good. If nothing else it will be a good read !

All the best and keep us all posted :-)

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 16th October 2009, 04:44 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazer View Post
Many thanks for the tip Neil. I've just ordered my copy from Amazon! My Mamiya is looking scared . I'll certainly keep researching on the subject...
I looked this up: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-lis...&condition=all

A google search on Keith Cogman suggests he's a portrait photographer but doesn't seem to have a website.

Richard,

Have you noticed any trends or generalities in terms of sales?

Tom
Old 17th October 2009, 07:33 AM
Friend

Tom,Landscapes/seascapes always sell, seascapes slightly better than landscapes, also some of the flower still lifes have sold well, and the "living history" subjects have gone well,but remember that I am in a small Island, and a good few of my print sales are to Visitors,a lot from France, where black/white photograqphs are very popular,perhaps more so than in the U.K., and I do spend a fair bit of time in France so I see the trends over there for myself.Richard
Old 18th October 2009, 08:13 PM
Friend

Whilst I'm not sure it's possible to make a living from selling prints these days, it's very possible to make quite a bit 'on the side'. I sell the odd prints at local cafes/ pubs etc. Local scenes sell well. there's always colour images for sale, but a mono print of a familiar scene tends to catch the eye. I reckon about 80% of my sales are to local people who want something that little bit different.

It's a lot of work, but well worth the effort!

Rob
Old 18th October 2009, 11:46 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazer View Post
I’m just starting on this journey, but can’t help wondering…How feasible is it to make a living out of selling prints as an independent artist, that is, through art fairs, websites, galleries, etc?
I don't wish to rain on your parade, but you will find it nigh on impossible. Have a good look at the market, paying close attention at what other photographers in the U.K are selling their work for, then put a price on your own work. Now, assuming that you are already in employment, take a good look at your life style, the house you live in, the car you drive, your cloths, your social life, the food you eat, then, ask yourself how many photographs you will have to sell to give you the same life that you enjoy now. It's a tough one, but that is the reality of it.

My advice would be to enjoy your photography, by all means sell your work to earn that little bit to pay for your materials, and of course, hopefully a little bit extra, but personally, there is no greater pleasure than seeing the smile on a face when you just give your work to someone.

That said, I do wish you luck and hope that one day you prove me wrong

Best

Stoo
Old 19th October 2009, 09:40 AM
Friend

I have to agree with Stoo all the way here.
After 15 years of trying to sell my work through fairs, galleries, exhibitions etc I'm annoyed with myself that I still keep trying !! Working on large format and printing on fibre paper with all the toning washing, drying etc, I'm lucky to even recover my costs let alone earn any money ! Remember that most galleries also take a 40-50% commision aswell.

A friend of mine who runs a photogallery in St Ives has been doing a roaring trade lately selling cheap inkjet canvases and mounted prints in the £10-50 price range so maybe this is the path to go down ...?

I'm not even tempted ......
Old 19th October 2009, 12:35 PM
Friend

I have resisted posting on this discussion as I didn't want to sound negative, but I would have to agree with the two previous posts.
I have sold numerous prints and cards and have done dozens of commissions over the years. It is nigh on impossible to make a living in the fine art market, you can make money but not enough to cover equipment, running costs, NI, marketing and pay yourself a wage to cover the mortgage, bills and feed a family ( or even yourself ).
It can supplement your income or as I look at it pay towards personnel work, but a living no!

Neil
Old 19th October 2009, 07:35 PM
Friend

That's excellent advice, Stoo. I agree 100%. The problem for me comes when one starts to print for 'the market', rather than follow your intuition. I only ever sell pictures I like. I take pictures for me, and if someone else likes them that's great. If they're prepared to pay for them then even better. I'd rather give a print I'm happy with away then sell one that I don't like.

Rob
Old 8th April 2010, 09:54 PM
Friend

Yup I'm with Bill and Stoo on this one. I do sell regularly. But no it does not cover costs. After the galleries take their cut I don't get much at all really. But good luck with it...

Mark
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies