Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Darkroom

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 8th January 2012, 12:08 PM
Friend

Smile A exposure meter for a beginner

Hello all,

I am slowly but surly building up me darkroom equipment and am staring to look at exposure meter, has anyone got experience of using the rhdesigns ZoneMaster II or does anyone know of a good beginners exposure meter, or is it best not to use one when you start. I got a Philips PCS2000 enlarger and some bits and pieces off ebay for £75, hopefully by summer I should be up and running

Thank you.
Andrew.
Old 8th January 2012, 01:25 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyBishop View Post
Hello all,

I am slowly but surly building up me darkroom equipment and am staring to look at exposure meter, has anyone got experience of using the rhdesigns ZoneMaster II or does anyone know of a good beginners exposure meter, or is it best not to use one when you start. I got a Philips PCS2000 enlarger and some bits and pieces off ebay for £75, hopefully by summer I should be up and running

Thank you.
Andrew.
As you mention the Analyser pro I am assuming you will be working in mono only, my advise FWIW isstart by using test strips, you can pick up a darkroom exposure meter/analyser very cheaply on Ebay (Minolta, Durst, Ilford,Jobo etc.) some of which can be used to make spot as well as diffused integrated readings, not in the same league as the Zonemaster II or analyser pro however they will give you an idea, I have been doing darkroom work both as my hobby and professionally for more than forty years I have tried many types of meter for mono work including Zonemaster II and analyser pro and have never really got on with any of them I now personally exclusively use test strips.

Good luck
Old 8th January 2012, 01:27 PM
Friend

If you haven't started printing yet then as a beginner I wouldn't bother with a meter. Start at the beginning and get comfortable with the whole process before adding extra gadgets and gizmos - as tempting as they are!
Old 8th January 2012, 02:31 PM
Friend

Thank you vanannan and Xpres for your advise, I will start by using the test strips as you both suggested.

Thank you.
Andrew.
Old 8th January 2012, 02:43 PM
Friend

Andy, As a long time user of an RH Designs analyser/pro I would heartily reccomend it, especialy for someone starting out, using Ilford mg rc paper it is plug in and go, you will get acceptable prints straight off following the instructions, and as you become more experianced you will get better and better at using the meter, and as a learning tool it is very good, with the pther plus point that right from the start it will save you a small fortune in what is expensive paper, I would not be without mine, and most users of it feel the same, next to your enlarger it is the best piece of equipment you can get, and the backup, both in advice and tenical is second to none so go for one and enjoy the darkroom from the begining, and I do darkroom work both as a h0bby and professionly, and have done so for many years, and this is the only meter I would suggest for someone starting out in the darkroom.
Richard

Last edited by Richard Gould; 8th January 2012 at 02:47 PM.
Old 8th January 2012, 03:24 PM
Friend

hello Andrew,
I strongly support Richard's recommendation. Get the Zone Master, it's not a fortune and it is an excellent help to learn about print exposure, contrast setting and filter grades. When you're well familiarised with it, you'll see it also saves you a lot of paper!
And later you may discover that it fits perfectly with the Stop Clock Pro, also from RH Design.
good luck
Peter
Old 8th January 2012, 11:15 PM
Friend

I second all the opinions expressed. If it happens to fall in your budget the Zone Master is an invaluable help, it will pay for itself with the money saved in enlarging paper. You won't regret for a second the expense. That said, I think one must learn to print the old way, with test strips and all, and get acquaintance with the process before being able to get the very best with an instrument such the Zone Master. This is my personal experience of course.

Cheers, M.
Old 9th January 2012, 11:11 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpres View Post
If you haven't started printing yet then as a beginner I wouldn't bother with a meter. Start at the beginning and get comfortable with the whole process before adding extra gadgets and gizmos - as tempting as they are!
I would second this good advice

www.davidlingham.uk
Old 9th January 2012, 07:32 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Lingham View Post
I would second this good advice
I third this advice. It is a good way to get to know how things work once you know what is going on you can up grade. I still use test strips but that maybe coming to an end.

http://photomi7ch.blogspot.com/

If you eliminate the impossible whatever remains no matter how improbable must be the truth.
Old 10th January 2012, 05:49 PM
Friend

Quote:
I third this advice.
I fourth....you get the idea. I work in the print industry, and it's now highly computerised. One day the computers went down, and it was only us old farts who could work the controls manually, as we had the background. All the poor kids who had ONLY worked the computerised stuff had no chance. Once you understand the process, then you can know WHY doing this or that alters the result. Start with the test strips, (may I suggest you work in stops?) and once you know why the thing does what it does, then get your aids-after all that's all they are-aids to your achieving what you set out to achieve.
Just my opinion. If you find it worthless for you, bin it. I won't mind!
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies