Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment Manuals > Manuals Discussion Forum

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 19th November 2012, 02:54 PM
Friend

I downloaded the latest Adobe reader version last night and then even tried the "repair installation" option but it made no difference

Xpres I think that you have said that it works in Chrome for you, have I got this correct? If so then it suggests that my Chrome is OK and it is a security related setting.

Anyone any idea how I investigate this? In terms as simple as possible please?

Thanks

Mike
Old 19th November 2012, 03:14 PM
Friend

Out of curiosity I just tried a download and it worked fine (WinXP/Firefox and Acrobat Reader 8). I wasn't offered a choice of open or download though, the file simply downloaded automatically to my downloads folder. Do you have an alternative browser Mike? If you're using a PC you should have MS Internet Explorer so you could try that. I've not come across any security software that corrupts files, normally it just warns you the file might be unsafe and asks for confirmation that you want to open it.

I still use Acrobat Reader 8 by the way because you can have multiple files open in the same window. Later versions insist on a new window for every file which annoys the hell out of me because I can't close them all at once but have to close them individually!

RH Designs darkroom equipment : dalesphoto.co.uk
Old 19th November 2012, 03:33 PM
Friend

open acrobat reader and in your preferences goto internet settings.

Untick display PDF in Browser
Untick Allow fast web view
Untick Allow speculative downloading in background

i.e. switch all of those off which should force pdfs to be handled directly in acrobat reader and not in your browser.

if you still have problem after doing above then likely its your acrobat settings whaich are wrong and nothing to do with browser or the files.
Acrobat has a lot of new features which won't work with older files. I switch off acrobat javascript amongst other things which are not compatible with older files.

Last edited by Argentum; 19th November 2012 at 03:41 PM.
Old 19th November 2012, 03:59 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O'Pray View Post
I downloaded the latest Adobe reader version last night and then even tried the "repair installation" option but it made no difference

Xpres I think that you have said that it works in Chrome for you, have I got this correct? If so then it suggests that my Chrome is OK and it is a security related setting.

Anyone any idea how I investigate this? In terms as simple as possible please?

Thanks

Mike
Yes, works in Chrome. As in it opens in adobe reader.... I also still use '8'. If I try and right click and 'view file' in a tab, it opens the application php file instead of the pdf.
I think following Rob's advice may pay off.
Old 19th November 2012, 04:59 PM
Administrator

I would suggest the following:

Download and install another PDF reader as suggested by GrahamD and try opening the downloaded file with that. If it opens OK then you know the issue is with Acrobat Reader.

If it also fails to open then it is likely that the file is indeed corrupted.
Why this should be is not immediately clear. If not done so already, I would also run anti-virus on your PC as some (mostly older) viruses will corrupt files.

If anti-virus finds nothing, use Internet Explorer if you use a Windows PC or download Firefox if using a Mac or Linux, and try downloading a pdf with one of them and test again.

Rather than upgrade Acrobat reader, try un-installing it entirely and then reinstall.

Incidentally, whether a PDF opens in a window, downloads to a folder on your PC or loads directly in to Acrobat Reader is down to the settings in your browser and the Adobe plug-in - the site has no control over that.

[Edit: another thought occurs... Make sure you delete the file on your PC before trying to download another copy - your PC may be refusing to download a new one because it already exists and you are simply re-opening the same corrupted file each time.]

Cheers, Bob.

Last edited by Bob; 19th November 2012 at 05:09 PM.
Old 19th November 2012, 05:24 PM
Friend

OK lots of things to try here. Thanks all. I'll let you know how it goes I'll try the un-install then re-install first

Mike
Old 19th November 2012, 07:41 PM
Friend

OK I have uninstalled Adobe(XI) then re-installed it and no change. However I have spotted something, I think. All the files I can download are under about 1MB. The exception to this but it was downloaded a few weeks ago is the PCA061 analyser file which is about 1.3MB

I suspect that had I not downloaded it then I would not be able to now

So it might be that there is a limit to the size of file that Adobe will attempt to download although it says there is an error and not file too big.

Does this give anyone thoughts on a solution? I note that FADUers are all using earlier versions but it seems incredible if later Adobe programmes have a restriction on file sizes?

Otherwise people would be leaving Adobe in droves?

Mike
Old 19th November 2012, 11:27 PM
Administrator

Indeed. Adobe does not restrict the size of files it will open.

A quick check with Mr. Google suggests this is a fairly common issue with Chrome and the PDF viewer. It corrupts the copy of the file it downloads too so no PDF viewer will work with the file.

Download another browser (Firefox by preference) and try that.

Cheers, Bob.
Old 19th November 2012, 11:38 PM
Friend

well I think all you need to do is to disable the chrome inbuilt pdf viewer, then change your acrobat reader settings as I suggested earlier. You may need to download the pdf document files again.

i.e. chrome comes with its own pdf viewer which is suspect. Probably only works with PDF files created using recent versions of acrobat.
Switch that inbuilt viewer off and problems should go away once you download pdf files again.
Old 21st November 2012, 11:28 PM
Friend

There is something very strange going on here. As I have said I can download files about 1MB or smaller( I have just tried again with some recently added files and no problem)

Just by chance I came across a non FADU bookmarked site which includes a download of a F100 at over 3MB. Out of curiosity I tried to download expecting exactly the same response as I have had with FADU files but it downloaded perfectly!

I have incidentally tried to do what Argentum suggested without any success.

Based on this and my discovery tonight could it be that FADU is the problem to put it simply?

Even if FADU is the problemI realise that I seem to be the only one affected and unless the FADU configuration can be easily altered to accommodate whatever it is that is preventing me from downloading then I may have to move to another browser such as Firefox

I will ask Xpres to sent me the file that first revealed I had a problem with FADU files. Once I get it and if I can open it this way, it would seem to finally confirm based on the above discovery with larger web based files such as the F100 that the issue lies with FADU.

So maybe the mods could check with the FADU webmaster if there is a reason why FADU gives me a problem and if there is a simple solution without having to move from Google Chrome.

Thanks

Mike
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies