Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Photography in general

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 10th February 2021, 04:51 PM
Friend

Default WW2 Slides

Hi All,

I have just come into my care 4 WW2 aircraft recognition slides.

I imagine that these were used by various land / air gunners to try to ensure that "friendlies" were recognised and not shot down

Three are of the Lancaster and one is of a York

Thought I would share them with the forum.

(sorry about the orientation, I'm having real problems at the moment getting photo's to load the correct way up)

Ian
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	recog slide001.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	4027   Click image for larger version

Name:	recog slide002.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	118.3 KB
ID:	4028   Click image for larger version

Name:	recog slide003.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	143.6 KB
ID:	4029   Click image for larger version

Name:	recog slide004.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	139.8 KB
ID:	4030   Click image for larger version

Name:	recog slide005.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	4031  

Old 10th February 2021, 07:48 PM
Friend

Fascinating. I'd never heard of the York, and as a child of the 60's I made my share of Airfix Lancasters, Wellingtons, Beaufighters et al.
Thanks for posting these.
Old 10th February 2021, 08:14 PM
Friend

Copied unashamedly from Wikipedia:-

The Avro York was a British transport aircraft developed by Avro during the Second World War. The design was derived from the Avro Lancaster heavy bomber, several sections of the York and Lancaster being identical. Due to the importance of Lancaster production, York output proceeded at a slow pace until 1944, after which a higher priority was placed upon transport aircraft.

The York saw service in military and civilian roles with various operators between 1943 and 1964. In civilian service, British South American Airways (BSAA) and British Overseas Airways Corporation (BOAC) were the largest users of the type. In military service, large numbers of Yorks were used for air-supply missions during the Berlin Blockade 1948–49. A number of the type were used as air transports of heads of state and government; VIPs who flew on Yorks included British Prime Minister Winston Churchill, French General Charles de Gaulle, Indian Governor-General Lord Mountbatten and South African Prime Minister Jan Smuts.

There used to be the fuselage and remains of the wings and tail plane of a York on the edge of RAF Acklington in Northumberland around 1962. This was a burnt out hulk used for training RAF crash firemen. You couldn't see it unless you were on the Newcastle to Edinburgh train which passed close by the western boundary. RAF Acklington is now a HM Prison (adults) and young offenders detention centre.

Last edited by John King; 10th February 2021 at 08:20 PM.
Old 13th February 2021, 08:02 AM
Friend

There is a York in the RAF museum at Cosford. Free entry, you only pay for parking and the only place in the world you can see all three V Bombers, an atomic bomb and a real Lightning hanging off the ceiling like an Airfix model.

Take a wide angle lens though they cram them in, I guess to preserve as many as they can in the indoor space.

Andy
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies