Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Darkroom

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 28th July 2014, 12:13 PM
Friend

Default Which developer??

Hi all.

I know I may be opening a large can of worms......but here goes.

I mainly use Pan F and FP4 120 and 35mm film with the occasional roll of T Max thrown in always developed in a jobo motorized drum. I am attempting to standardize on one or maybe two developers as I seem to have amassed a number of developers and can never decide which one to use. Many years ago I used to use "Aculux and Acutol" developer and was always pleased with the consistent results I achieved.
I don't want to be messing with mixing chemicals and require a liquid one shot developer which keeps grain to a minimum and gives good contrast.
Cost and economy is not a problem if I can find a consistently good developer. Yours in anticipation.

Russ
Old 28th July 2014, 12:34 PM
Friend

hi Russ I would recommend ilfosol 3 it covers all you needs ,and more ..

www.essexcockney.com
Old 28th July 2014, 02:25 PM
Friend

I use Prescysol which seems to give me good results with one tme and dilution for all types of films which can go into the same tank. Probably not the cheapest.

Tony
Old 28th July 2014, 02:41 PM
Friend

Iuse Rodinal for 90% of my films, with D76 for the remainder, a good all round 1 shot liqud developer I have used in the past was promicrol from Champion
Richard
Old 28th July 2014, 02:56 PM
Friend

Ilford DDX
Tetenal Ultrafin
Tetenal Ultrafin Plus (very fine grain)
Old 28th July 2014, 03:17 PM
Friend

Rodinal (now known as R09) is excellent with the slower films. Try PanF at 25 in 1:100 for 15 minutes at 20 degC. You may need to experiment a bit to get exactly what you want. It also has the benefit of being very economical and lasts for ever.
Old 28th July 2014, 03:18 PM
Friend

Russ you have done it now ,every body has got there own favourites ,and all of them are good so what ever you choose you cannot go wrong ....

www.essexcockney.com
Old 28th July 2014, 03:47 PM
Friend

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussKelly View Post
Hi all.

I know I may be opening a large can of worms......but here goes.

I mainly use Pan F and FP4 120 and 35mm film with the occasional roll of T Max thrown in always developed in a jobo motorized drum. I am attempting to standardize on one or maybe two developers as I seem to have amassed a number of developers and can never decide which one to use. Many years ago I used to use "Aculux and Acutol" developer and was always pleased with the consistent results I achieved.
I don't want to be messing with mixing chemicals and require a liquid one shot developer which keeps grain to a minimum and gives good contrast.
Cost and economy is not a problem if I can find a consistently good developer. Yours in anticipation.

Russ
Not even once a flood?

If you could bear to invest half an hour every 500 films then, based on your preferred films, OBSIDIAN AQUA would be a fine developer for you. Keep the grain fine and yet still give you sharpness... what more could be wanted?

This was made last week with PAN F Plus and OBSIDIAN AQUA:

richard
Old 28th July 2014, 04:23 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by big paul View Post
Russ you have done it now ,every body has got there own favourites ,and all of them are good so what ever you choose you cannot go wrong ....
I rekon you're right but I despair of people asking these type of questions. Until he tries them all out and plays around with development times and dilutions he won't know which developer is best for him so the answers we give are at best just a listing of some available developers.
Old 28th July 2014, 04:50 PM
Friend

Looks great on my monitor - sort of mural size!

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardw View Post
Not even once a flood?

If you could bear to invest half an hour every 500 films then, based on your preferred films, OBSIDIAN AQUA would be a fine developer for you. Keep the grain fine and yet still give you sharpness... what more could be wanted?

This was made last week with PAN F Plus and OBSIDIAN AQUA:

richard

Tony
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies