Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   Keyphoto   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   RK Photo   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies   Silverprint Ltd

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Darkroom

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 19th August 2009, 03:23 PM
Friend

Default Ilford Multigrade Warmtone Papers

Ok

So I am off to college again in September and after doing the darkroom course.

Now the darkroom I know has a a proccessor in there, so print, dev,dry in 90secs and I know people have put through ordinary Ilford Muligrade IV and they look fine.

However I am going off Gloss paper and thinking of using the RC Warmtone Paper than Ilford do.

So the question is:

Do you need warmtone paper developer to get the best out of it or because it is a Multigrade variation then going throu the proccess will be ok?
Old 19th August 2009, 03:48 PM
Friend

Unless the processor is set up for a specific paper / developer combination the best you will get is OK results. If you want to get the very best out of any product then I suggest hand processing is the way to go; if possible.
Old 19th August 2009, 04:05 PM
Friend

I agree with Dave,to get the best out of the multigrade warm tone, or any warm tone paper, then hand processing is the best,and I would suggest that you use either the harman warmtone developer or the agfa neutol wt Richard
Old 19th August 2009, 04:59 PM
Friend

If you use Resin Coated paper this would work with the processor they have, but I would go for Fiber Based paper and tray develop. Longer wash times and more hassle drying, but you can't beat the quality. I too am not keen on glossy finish, FB papers even in glossy are far more subtle than RC when air dried, and you can get matt finish if you prefer.

Neil
Old 19th August 2009, 06:35 PM
Friend

Thinking on this further I suggest the best way is to buy a pack of ten sheets and try it against standard papers to see the difference and judge your preference. It's not lightly that you will be able to change developers since I assume that they will be provided by the college.
Old 20th August 2009, 09:43 AM
Friend

Thank you for your input

Think I will see if I can get a "sample" pack of warmtone ilford and try it in the processor to see what it turns out like.

I agree that using either FB or hand processing in trays will be far superior, but as I do not have a darkroom at home and college is only 3hrs a week (well less after you have chatted, coffed and fannyed about) time is a bit short.

Yes I know I will have to try and sort a darkroom out. Now where did I put that hammer
Old 20th August 2009, 04:48 PM
Friend

Be careful of the machine process at collage. I've used a collage machine if the cheimicals are not fresh you will have a warmtone print wether you want one or not.

http://photomi7ch.blogspot.com/

If you eliminate the impossible whatever remains no matter how improbable must be the truth.
Old 20th August 2009, 07:27 PM
Friend

Not sure if the course you are doing is an evening course nor how far away the college is nor how easy it is to get there but I found that on my evening course that once the number of students settled down as they do after a couple of weeks then a quiet word with the tutor allowed me to turn up occasionally on the parallel course running on another evening and also gave me entry a little earlier than the the official times. Maybe my college's tutor was particularly relaxed but it certainly helped me get extra hours in.

I think Dave's suggestion about getting a sampler of 10 is good advice. Ilford WT has become particularly expensive and it may not be worth the cost of investing in a box of 50/100 until you are sure.

My experience was that the warmth is quite subtle and I didn't find myself saying:" WT, where have you been all my life!" :

Mike
Old 21st August 2009, 11:30 AM
Friend

The Pearl RC paper finish that Ilford make is quite nice.

It gives the prints a more subtle appearance than the gloss.

Paper tone and finish are a very personal thing and different subjects work better on some colour/surface combinations than others.

It’s worth investing a bit of time and money investigating few different paper tones and finishes to find a combination that works for you.

Don't forget to consider Ilford Cooltone - I like it - but it’s not everyone’s cup of tea

Martin
Old 21st August 2009, 07:37 PM
Friend

For what it's worth and adding to Martin's comments I found that I could detect a bigger difference in the coolness of Cooltone paper from MG than the difference of WT to MG. Cooltone really was colder looking. I should add however that I developed it with the now defunct CT developer that Ilford has now abandoned and wasn't able to compare it with CT paper in MG developer.

Mike
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   Keyphoto   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   RK Photo   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies   Silverprint Ltd