Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Colour Work > Colour film

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 26th January 2012, 04:03 PM
Friend

Default Labelling slide mounts

I'm working with just 35mm slide film this year and already realizing I'm going to need some sort of labelling system. I can find very little information on the www and would appreciate hearing of anyone's own ways.

Thank you
Old 26th January 2012, 08:49 PM
Friend

the following should be good for 35mm slides. If you know how then you can print from word or access database. And although I haven't looked at it, you can probably download the Avery free software addon for word or access or excel to ease printing on labels using the mailmerge label printing facility.

http://www.avery.co.uk/avery/en_gb/P...002118140aRCRD
Old 26th January 2012, 09:41 PM
Friend

I write on the top-left corner of the slide mount an identification number, using a permanent marker.
For instance: 121/35 means "frame 35 of film 121".
If the slides have already a sequential number printed on them, I just write the film number.
Old 27th January 2012, 07:33 PM
Friend

Thank you both.

I guess that by the fact you can by purpose made slide labels that there isnt too much concern with them peeling off of partly off due to the heat from the lamp in the projector?

Perhaps the idea in my head of a colour dot system is a little extreme? for example.. film type/subject type, rating?
Old 27th January 2012, 08:14 PM
Friend

if you put label on the right side, it will be on opposite side to lamp so won't get much heat anyway. Not unless you cook your slides.
Old 27th January 2012, 09:03 PM
Friend

I would just write on the slide mount (or on the label, if you prefer) the minimal you need to uniquely identify the image. Other information - which may change in the future - should be written somewhere else.

When I scan a slide, I use a file name which is directly derived from the identifier I wrote on the mount (e.g. s-0121-35.tif). In this way, I can use my photo organizer to keep trace of any other information, while being able at any time to find back my original slide.
Old 29th January 2012, 09:13 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by

When I scan a slide, I use a file name which is directly derived from the identifier I wrote on the mount (e.g. [B
s-0121-35.tif[/B]). In this way, I can use my photo organizer to keep trace of any other information, while being able at any time to find back my original slide.
Yes a good thought and although I am partly using slide film to ease off computer time there's no doubt sometime in the future I will scan and catalogue.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies