Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Darkroom

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 20th June 2013, 01:55 PM
Friend

Default Paterson colour 35 enlarger

Hi All,
I am new to this forum but am in need of some help, i'm in the process of setting up my own dark room & recently purchased a paterson colour 35 enlarger, the enlarger was said to be complete & ready 4 use but upon arrival it doesn't appear to have a lens, according to the manual any Leica thread lens will do, but, and here is my problem, i have purchased 3 different lenses and none of them fit! The opening appears to be too big to take any of the lenses, so i am wondering if anyone has any knowledge of this enlarger and could point me in the right direction, am i missing some sort of connector for the lens, or can i buy an adapter to take a 39m thread lens or can anyone recommend a cheap(ish) lens for this enlarger? Many thanks
Old 21st June 2013, 07:00 AM
Moderator & Keeper of the Calendar

Although I have no personal knowledge of Paterson enlargers it is usual that the lens is screwed into a lens panel that fits into the aperture in the enlarger. This enables different thread lenses to be fitted using the appropriate panel. Sound alike you are missing the lens panel.

Interestingly the Paterson site lists the lenses they sell for the enlarger as having 42 mm thread size although the manual you have says 39 mm, the Leica thread size. In that case can you measure the opening and see if that is the size on your enlarger? If so you need to find an adapter.

Paterson are still going so I suggest you contact them or alternatively one of the sponsors such as Seconhand Darkroom Supplies to see if they have a suitable panel. Firstcall also still sell the enlargers and that may be a possible source of a panel.

Bill

Last edited by Bill; 21st June 2013 at 07:09 AM.
Old 21st June 2013, 07:35 AM
Friend

Hi Bill,
Thank you for the reply, i have measured the opening & it 5cm / 50mm, and from a bit of further research it seems i am missing an internal panel to fit the lens to, i have had a look on the paterson site & a few others, but cant seem to find what i am looking for, from what i can understand the enlarger was made around late 70's / early 80's, so i'm not sure if parts are still available..... So it might be a case of make something myself to attach the lens to or start again & look for another 2nd hand enlarger.
Many thanks for the help.
Jes
Old 21st June 2013, 08:20 AM
Friend

I like Bill have no experience of the Patterson enlarger. One of the enlarging lenses I have is to small for the opening in the lens plate but it came with an expansion ring. so it would fit but is not 50mm in diameter.

http://photomi7ch.blogspot.com/

If you eliminate the impossible whatever remains no matter how improbable must be the truth.
Old 21st June 2013, 09:57 AM
Friend

Not a definite solution, in fact probably a long shot, is to contact Nova Darkroom to see if it has a panel amongst its second-hand stuff.

If nothing else emerges then it might be worth a try.

Mike
Old 21st June 2013, 10:41 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesevs View Post
I have measured the opening & it 5cm / 50mm, and from a bit of further research it seems i am missing an internal panel to fit the lens to,
I suspect the missing panel will around 60mm diameter, possibly with bevelled edges and/or a locating ring. A piece of mount card or thin plywood would suffice to get you going - Some enlarger lenses came with a retaining ring so the board doesn't need to be threaded.

In searching for "Paterson Colour Enlargers", I came across cassim posting here last October with the same model - Might be worth dropping him a note and see if he can provide any images of the lens board.
Old 21st June 2013, 01:24 PM
Friend

Thanks for the help guys, emailed Paterson, so awaiting reply, also found an adapter ring on ebay, hope this works, if all else fails I will try & make something to fit.
Jes
Old 21st June 2013, 02:39 PM
Friend

If the hole that you are trying to fit the lens into is about 50 mm diameter, then what you are probably missing is the focusing ring.
If so, then even if you manage to fit a plate to take the lens, you won't be able to focus it.
I did have a spare one a while ago but I don't know if I still have it, and if I do, were on earth it is. I'll have a look and if I find it I'll pass it on to you.
Old 21st June 2013, 05:48 PM
Friend

Must say 50mm sounds strange for your enlarger?

Providing you know the correct measurements of what is missing or of what you need made then this company will almost certainly be able to help you and can manufacture to order.

http://www.srb-griturn.com/

If you find the 42mm lens board then there is an adapter to 39mm here;
http://www.srb-griturn.com/m42-to-m39-4256-p.asp

Other sizes here or use the search field;
http://www.srb-griturn.com/adaptors-...lens-605-c.asp

*If it's going to get too expensive you might as well get a "new" enlarger!

“Reaching a creative state of mind thru positive action
is considered preferable to waiting for inspiration.”
- Minor White, 1950
Old 21st June 2013, 07:55 PM
Friend

Hi guys,
Here is a photo of where the lens should be.
Many thanks.
Jes.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371844505.221147.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	114.6 KB
ID:	1770
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies