Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Photography in general

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 27th November 2020, 01:02 PM
Friend

Default New x-ray scanners at airports NOT safe for ANY Ilford film

I don't know if this has been mentioned before, but a search doesn't find anything and the Ilford article isn't dated.

What with the Covid situation at the moment, most of us won't be flying anywhere soon, but I have just read the following on the Ilford website, that I think is important to us as photographers:

Advice for Airport X-ray scanners: Film & papers

We are working with the DFT and Heathrow airport in the UK and will shortly be updating our information relating to the new CT type x-ray scanners being installed at major airports worldwide.

Based on our initial testing it is almost certain the new CT type x-ray scanners for cabin baggage will be deemed unsafe for any of our ILFORD and KENTMERE film products irrespective of ISO speed rating.

The link for this and other items is at:

https://www.ilfordphoto.com/faqs/

Terry S
Old 27th November 2020, 02:46 PM
Friend

A long thread on this has already run on Photrio but then went dormant. Then Covid -19 intervened so possibly any action by the film makers or the scanner manufacturers has been in suspension. However reading between the lines I get the impression that Ilford for one does not have the muscle to change things and nor do the others quite frankly.

So I think we are stuck with scanners that will ruin or is very likely to ruin film. The easy solution is hand searches but again the requestors of this have to have enough muscle to persuade airports to introduce such searches.

Unless the prevailing terrorist scenario were to calm down a lot then the easy way out is to say that machines never sleep, get tired or careless while staff can and do, so the risks of hand-searches are too great.

This is the safe and easy way out for the authorities and while film may be reviving I do not believe it has revived anything like enough for enough people to kick up a big enough fuss to make a difference

Mike
Old 27th November 2020, 05:51 PM
Friend

I wonder if this is the case in Canada now too. I have had some films fogged, but only when I put them in a lead pouch in checked luggage (mistake!). The security folks in screening carry-on have so far been cooperative when I ask for a hand inspection. But I am skeptical that this will continue, hence I am investing more time into learning to get good results from digital, and leave the film cameras for use only at home. If that doesn't satisfy (so far I'm not too happy with my digital results in monochrome), then I may start shipping film if practical.

But I'm pretty dismayed to read this, Terry. I was hoping I could continue to shoot with some of my favourite travel cameras.
Old 27th November 2020, 07:51 PM
Friend

I remember in the early days of airport x-rays reading an article by a chap who travelled overseas a lot.
His answer to the problem was to take a small developing tank and packs of powdered chemicals with him.
He sometimes bought the chemicals when he got to his destination.
With his simple portable kit, he developed the black and white films in situ, and printed them when he got home.
Not sure whether he bought the film abroad or not.
Back then, some countries only allowed a few rolls to be brought in, otherwise they thought you were importing for resale, and they hit you with hefty import duties.
Cheers.
Old 27th November 2020, 08:29 PM
Friend

Nat that is a good point ,I should imagen most country must sell film & chemicals ,so where there's a will there's a way
Old 27th November 2020, 08:47 PM
Friend

Default X Rays

That's good to know. I will have to make a point of travelling to Europe by ferry when I go on my motorcycle tour next year
Old 27th November 2020, 10:17 PM
Friend

Nat, that doesn't do much if the film has already been fogged on the outbound flight. It's basically toast before you even shoot it. Unless you buy it at your destination that is, but almost all films are pretty much unobtainable in most places these days except major metropolitan centers.

I think the only way around this is to mail it to wherever you are staying, c/o the hotel for example, and then mail it back to yourself before you head home.

Last edited by Svend; 27th November 2020 at 10:20 PM.
Old 28th November 2020, 01:05 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svend View Post
I think the only way around this is to mail it to wherever you are staying, c/o the hotel for example, and then mail it back to yourself before you head home.
But isn't the film going to go through airport scanners then as well; with them possibly being the stronger ones that non-cabin baggage will go through?

I'm asking as I'm unsure what x-rays are used on large amounts of wholesale stock loaded onto airplanes.

Terry S
Old 28th November 2020, 01:58 PM
Friend

Terry,
I suppose if it's airmail being loaded onto a passenger plane, then it would go through the same screening as baggage. But if you sent it by regular parcel post or via a shipping company like UPS (or whatever you have there in the UK), then it would go on a cargo plane -- separate terminal, handling, etc.. I doubt those have the same xrays, if any, as passenger terminals. Anyway, I don't know any of this for certain....just surmising here.
Old 29th November 2020, 07:03 PM
Friend

I know someone who travels to the USA to take photographs and he both buys his film when he gets there as well as has it commercially developed before coming home.

He shots 120 roll film and says there are places in major cities that still develop B&W commercially.

It stops his films being fried in airport scanners and he gets to hang out for a couple of days doing touristy sorts of things while his films are souped.

He is not too precious about his film development method.

Martin
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies