Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Monochrome Work > Monochrome Film

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 29th January 2023, 09:35 PM
Friend

Default Printing with XP2 Super- Arghhhhh!

Has anyone had problems printing XP2 onto Multigrade 5. The negs print quite easily onto Kentmere fine print, but try to get a decent print on MG5 would try the patience of a saint!

I eventually managed after a lot of test strips eventually using Grade 1.5 but only if I doubled the development time to 2mins.With Gd2 the contrast went through the roof and with Gd1, it was awful.

Any thoughts?
Old 30th January 2023, 08:13 PM
Friend

You need to post examples of theGd1 & 2 prints, unfortunately this is probably the only Forum now still insisting on Hot links to other sites and no direct postings.

|There are cases where images on say grade 2 too contrasty and 1 probably won't work either, and there are various ways around this.

Change developer, or increase development time which you've done. Two bath development, or flashing, all work well.

I used a lot of XP1/2 & Plus commercially and never had any issues, but there are negatives that need help.

You have to learn for yourself how to handle relatively simple issues like this. Print Gd 2 and pre or post flash to tame the highlights.

Or use two bath development, or split grade printing . . . . . .

Ian
Old 30th January 2023, 09:17 PM
Friend

Ian:
Uploading an attachment works:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tree love.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	256.2 KB
ID:	4647  
Old 31st January 2023, 05:23 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostlabours View Post
unfortunately this is probably the only Forum now still insisting on Hot links to other sites and no direct postings.

Ian
???

You have always been able to add attachments to posts.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	149.5 KB
ID:	4649
Old 30th January 2023, 09:39 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by John King View Post
Any thoughts?

Sounds if the whole process is a bit out of control :-)

Sometimes the gamma of a negative doesn't fit the curves of the paper well.
That's why I don't believe in only one perfect gamma..

Your problems further are a good example why running after exposure times and parallel searching the perfect grade often does not make sense.
Especially with using VC paper.

I do this with new materials:
First I am looking for the right development time of the paper/developer combination.
If your paper now needs 2 minutes for maximum development, so why not.
After testing I would take this time for every print.

Next I want to know from exposure time when the maximum black appears to my paper (developed for 2 minutes now).
Par example my Fomabrome Baryta needs 4 seconds without filtration after 3 minutes in my developer. Everytime.

I now could extrapolate the time for Splitgrade printing with a grade 5 filter ( followed by one or two tests, of course).

With this basics it should be easy searching for the perfect exposure time to the lights (grade 0 filter).

Last edited by Reginald S; 30th January 2023 at 10:07 PM.
Old 31st January 2023, 12:29 AM
Friend

Default Learning curve.

I think we all learn a little from the trials and tribulations in the darkroom. I normally give MG5 1 minute in the developer, but extending the time by 100% really surprised me with a greater range and depth of tones and blacks which became visible. I wonder what it will do with conventional film.

I only had that one cassette of XP2 which was out of date as well by 2 yrs so I had exposed it at 200iso with no increase in film development time(Possible reason for the problem?).

In any case I don't really like XP2 and was just using it up so I may not be buying any more in the foreseeable future.
Old 31st January 2023, 07:31 PM
Friend

Quote:
I normally give MG5 1 minute in the developer, but extending the time by 100% really surprised me with a greater range and depth of tones and blacks which became visible. I wonder what it will do with conventional film.
Don't you make initial tests with new papers or developers?
Old 31st January 2023, 10:12 PM
Friend

ye negative
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reginald S View Post
Don't you make initial tests with new papers or developers?
I have used MG5 since it came out and the developer is standard C41 colour so there is no change there. The only difference was the film was 2 yrs out of date so as a precaution I set the ISO at 250 because I know it is likely to loose a little contrast.

MG5 is a superb paper with a conventional B&W film, but an XP2 image is a die based negative similar to a colour neg but without the colour dyes only black!

I thought I had made it clear in the original post.
Old 1st February 2023, 08:31 PM
Friend

Quote:
ye negative

I have used MG5 since it came out and the developer is standard C41 colour so there is no change there. ..

I normally give MG5 1 minute in the developer, but extending the time by 100% really surprised me with a greater range and depth of tones and blacks which became visible.
I have no idea of your C41 developer but to me it feels like your paper never was been developed to the end which normally means no great enhancement one minute later.

As another idea for contrast manipulation I can imagine printing (not developing) darker and then partially or overall bleaching back the lights which is a process easy to be controlled and with delicate results.
Old 4th February 2023, 12:04 AM
Friend

Default MG dev time

I always dev for 2 min. The fan on my Multigrade 500 head stops about 120 sec after the end of the exposure. If I dev for less time it looks “snatched”, so I agree.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies