Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Monochrome Work > Monochrome Film

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 1st February 2023, 08:31 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by John King View Post
ye negative

I have used MG5 since it came out and the developer is standard C41 colour so there is no change there. ..

I normally give MG5 1 minute in the developer, but extending the time by 100% really surprised me with a greater range and depth of tones and blacks which became visible.
I have no idea of your C41 developer but to me it feels like your paper never was been developed to the end which normally means no great enhancement one minute later.

As another idea for contrast manipulation I can imagine printing (not developing) darker and then partially or overall bleaching back the lights which is a process easy to be controlled and with delicate results.
Old 1st February 2023, 08:49 PM
Friend

Quote:
The temperature was the normal 20c +/- as it is normally
I guess how much + or - should be the next question, but it's probably not the issue here.

Alan Clark asked about the Halogen bulb, and you answered like all 100w Halogen bulbs, but they are available with different colour temperatures. . . . . . .

Only you know what you are using, and our equipment varies, so who says what's right or wrong.

Ian
Old 1st February 2023, 09:39 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostlabours View Post

An MG paper with straighter curves and a film with a long straight curve like XP2, may well sometimes need advanced printing techniques, like pre or post flashing, 2 bath development or split grade printing.

Ian
If this means that advanced printing techniques are required more than just a "little more" often i.e. fairly frequently , Ian, with XP2 then it makes me wonder whether XP2 users will have welcomed Deluxe as much as Ilford had hoped

You'd have thought that with Ilford's claim that XP2 works well with its paper which was MGIV until recently, it might have tested the Deluxe against XP2. If there were any additional problems compared to MGIV then it should have at least hinted that in certain circumstances different techniques were needed

If there is more "fiddling" for want of a better word, with XP2 and Deluxe compared with MGIV then it kind of begs the question: What is the point of using it versus standard b&w film?

A bit worrying.I may be now forewarned when I have to switch to Deluxe but I am less sure of bothering with XP2 now than I was

Mike
Old 2nd February 2023, 09:14 AM
Friend

Just to clarify Mike. The film was out of date by 2 years not respond to which id why I rated it at 250 instead of 400ISO. I do know XP2 does not work too well if it is out of date and looses sensitivity which is why I rated it as almost one stop lower than when it was new. The quite dark film base tone (compared to FP4/HP5) does not fade and this may be the problem
Old 2nd February 2023, 09:16 AM
Friend

Mike, it's more about the MG V curves at various contrast grades becoming far closer to a plain graded paper like Galerie. That is quite an improvement.

It's swings and roundabouts, in most cases the newer MG V will help achieve better results, but there may be the odd negatives that printed easier on MG IV, that could be XP2 or any other film.

Ilford only releases new products after extensive testing, and they will have tested MG V with XP2 as well as other films. And then regardless of film, developer, and paper there are some negatives that are a more difficult to print.

Ian
Old 2nd February 2023, 12:57 PM
Friend

I've only used two rolls of 35mm XP2 in the past, getting them both d+p'ed at Snappy Snaps. I then printed up some of them on Ilford RC MGIV, with no problem other than finding it hard to focus, as the film has no grain. I've only used Ilford's new MGV a little bit so far, but I am tempted to get another roll of XP2 to try it out again and then to try printing some frames onto MGV. If I do, I'll report back.

Terry S
Old 2nd February 2023, 03:55 PM
Friend

Thanks all for replies and Terry a report back would be great

Mike
Old 2nd February 2023, 05:10 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry S View Post
I've only used two rolls of 35mm XP2 in the past, getting them both d+p'ed at Snappy Snaps. I then printed up some of them on Ilford RC MGIV, with no problem other than finding it hard to focus, as the film has no grain. I've only used Ilford's new MGV a little bit so far, but I am tempted to get another roll of XP2 to try it out again and then to try printing some frames onto MGV. If I do, I'll report back.

Terry S
It would be nice to have someone else's comparison result. Yes please.
Old 3rd February 2023, 04:10 PM
Friend

Quote:
It would be nice to have someone else's comparison result. Yes please.
I've just bought a roll to try John.

As soon as I get some spare time on a sunny day, I'll be out and about down the seafront to try it out, along with my new variable ND filter.

Terry S
Old 4th February 2023, 12:04 AM
Friend

Default MG dev time

I always dev for 2 min. The fan on my Multigrade 500 head stops about 120 sec after the end of the exposure. If I dev for less time it looks “snatched”, so I agree.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies