Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Colour Work > Colour printing techniques

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 2nd July 2023, 12:43 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by B&W Neil View Post
John,

That's great news and it's good you are going to carry on with colour printing.

I have been using a citric stop for a long while now for BW and some alternitive work (not colour though) and found it be fine, smells better too. The only issue I have had is the amount of work you can put through, I have found it needs watching.

Neil
I had that idea as well that it may not have he same working life as acetic acid stop bath and when using stop bath with colour chemicals
it darkens the stop bath so you cannot se the colour change to tell you when it is exhausted. I used to replenish at the same rate as I did for the bleach fix and developer so I was going to double the replenishment rate. It is cheap enough so not a great deal to do.
Old 2nd July 2023, 12:47 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reginald S View Post
Here, the same, Neil,

and I also have seen debris building soon in my tray.
Better let's say darkroom space invaders because of it's biological nature

Being a low cost product if buying kilogrammwise, there is nothing to say against quicker substituting the Citric than done before with Acetic.
Ooops! I had forgotten about the build up of the furry coat in the stop bath slot that is why I stopped using it a few years ago, but that is a small problem if it allows me to continue colour printing.
I have just replaced the drain taps on the Nova Processor and the new design have a much larger bore so all I have to do is drain the slot and filter out any hairy contents (I knew I had another use for the unused coffee filter papers.)
Old 2nd July 2023, 01:19 PM
Friend

You're never alone with jellyfishs carrying a warm furry coat and having tentacle drive
Old 2nd July 2023, 11:20 PM
Friend

FWIW, over here U-brew beer shops are a great source for inexpensive citric acid. You lose the benefit of an indicator, but it makes one-shot use much more economically practical, assuming regular replacement of stop bath in your Nova processor doesn't get too tiresome.
Health food stores are another possibility.
There are apparently some dichroic fog issues with using citric acid stop with colour film, but I'm not aware of any with paper.
Old 3rd July 2023, 07:44 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
FWIW,
There are apparently some dichroic fog issues with using citric acid stop with colour film, but I'm not aware of any with paper.
No problem for me, I don't use any stop bath with film development.
Old 3rd July 2023, 08:08 AM
Friend

Some alternative prosesses such as Bromoil have to have the use of a ciitric stop otherwise you would probably have inking problems. Same goes for lith prints and some toners in my experience.

Neil.

Neil Souch

Last edited by B&W Neil; 3rd July 2023 at 08:15 AM.
Old 3rd July 2023, 11:29 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by B&W Neil View Post
Some alternative prosesses such as Bromoil have to have the use of a ciitric stop otherwise you would probably have inking problems. Same goes for lith prints and some toners in my experience.

Neil.
B&W Neil, what problems have you encountered when using an acid stop bath when doing either lith or toner processes? I do both, but happily I've had no problems to date, but would be interested as to what to look out for.

Terry S
Old 3rd July 2023, 04:27 PM
Friend

Terry,

I haven't done lith or bromoils for a while so I am a bit out of touch. But it would have something to do with not giving the paper emulsion a nasty shock. With bromoil it makes inking easier (for me). But not all bromoilists go along with this.

Best to try each method in your setup and see what works for you. Or if you are getting what you like from your method - stay with that.

THe PH of your water supply can also affect things.

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 4th July 2023, 11:39 AM
Friend

B&W Neil, thanks for the reply.

Terry S
Old 4th July 2023, 04:53 PM
Friend

RA4 developer availability update.

AG Photographic are selling Champion RA4 developer ready mixed with an apparent long life. It has to be the cheapest on the market by far at 29.99 for a 10 litre bottle of concentrate. It comes as a 1 litre bottle which is diluted at 1-9. It is a replenisher which means you have to add a starter chemical before using it.

I spoke to AG before I bought some and was told they started using it in their lab after the Kodak Ektacolour became unobtainable. That is now officially discontinued. When replenishing the Nova Tank with fresh developer you do not need to use any more starter. Also for the initial mix any manufacturers generic starter will work, so I don't have to buy more.

Reading the on-line guide it indicates the developer produces significantly less tar than the Kodak version, with the replenishment rate being about half that the Kodak RA4 required. (100cc per 2 sq metres is needed which is very good indeed.) The only significant difference that I have noted is the paper should be developed at 38c - the same as film development, not 35c I have used before with paper

Last edited by John King; 4th July 2023 at 04:57 PM.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies