Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Equipment miscellaneous

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 19th April 2013, 10:10 PM
Friend

Default New toy: drying cabinet

just bought a marrutt film drying cabinet today, I know that I managed all these years without one ,but I have allways wanted one but could never afford one ,but now I can , I have got a space to put it in now some of my books have gone ,its in good condition no rust, but a bit dusty, and I will have to change the filter ,but I am very pleased with my purchase ,cannot wait to use it ...
Old 20th April 2013, 01:16 AM
Friend

Excellent! Best of luck with the new toy. My cat loves fresh negatives. Just the sound of me rinsing the film before hanging over the bath brings him running to 'play'. Luckily, we have secondary glazing in one room- I hang my negs between the two windows to dry. I suspect your cabinet will be a rather more elegant solution.
p.s.-http://www.essexcockney.com/photo17113618.html#photo
Brilliant!!
Old 20th April 2013, 06:55 AM
Friend

I have 2 film dryers, one is a Paterson version of the Durst UT100 with a plastic enclosure which I use for roll films, I would prefer a metal cabinet film dryer and will get one when I can get one at a reasonable price.

I also have a metal cabinet sheet film dryer, this looks like a standard white goods item but has a lifting lid along with an opening door. Inside are rails for hanging sheet film from.

I used to hang my films in the darkroom to dry, but both these dryers have made a decent reduction to the amount of dust that the films collect whilst drying.
Old 20th April 2013, 06:56 AM
Friend

Default fdc

I have had one for years and I tend to find that more often than not I do not switch on the air blower. I do use the No. 1 setting when I'm in a hurry, No. 2 setting curls the film.
Old 20th April 2013, 01:29 PM
Friend

hi Norm. it has a box filter in it 10"x10"x2" and it needs changing I was thinking about opening the box and taking the fibre filter out and replacing it with a foam filter the type that are used in fish pond filters ..how have you got around the filter problem ....

www.essexcockney.com
Old 20th April 2013, 05:40 PM
Friend

Like Norm I have never figured out what use the number two setting is given its curling propensity

Mike
Old 21st April 2013, 09:27 AM
Friend

If you want to dry tanks and reels and stuff quickly to be number two setting is very useful.
Old 22nd April 2013, 07:56 AM
Friend

My filter is ok, it should be easy to make one from foam, even washing up sponges with a J cloth on top would work. Its easy to cut foam with an electric kitchen knife.
Old 26th April 2013, 02:48 PM
Friend

I have used my drying cabinet for the first time today. in the week after I got it I took it apart and cleaned it out it was full of dust ,and yesterday I resaved the foam filters and used the finer two cut them to size and cleaned out the old filter from the box and inserted the new foam filter inside it and fitted it in the dryer ,,,I developed a roll of 35mm 36exp Kodak tri x ,hung it in the dryer on low heat for 15mins and then 3mins on just blow ,,its came out nice and shinny and flat and dry and dust free .....................

www.essexcockney.com
Old 26th April 2013, 07:33 PM
Friend

Congratulations on getting the Film Dryer up and running

It might be worth trying to just hang your wet films up inside the cabinet with no fans on at all and letting them dry overnight

Blowing air around always stirs up some dust, so no fan at all is often the most dust free way of operating.

However, this only works if you don't have many films to dev and then dry in a single session

Martin
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies