Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Monochrome Work > Monochrome Film

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 11th June 2014, 02:25 PM
Friend

Default Ilford XP2 Super and C-41

Have now tried this combo a few times - it seems very attractive. Processing not at all complicated once you've got to grips with temperature control (only the dev really needs to be spot on).
The film base is deep purple/magenta and that seems to fool the ZoneMaster completely. Has anybody experienced XP2 enlargement using the ZoneMaster?
I have another question for those familiar with C-41 processing: does the stabilizer come after the wash, i.e. at the very end, or does it come after fix but before the wash?
Grateful for any help
Peter
Old 11th June 2014, 03:01 PM
Friend

I don't have a zonemaster but can't help with the first question, but in relation to the second question, the stabiliser comes at the very end.
Old 11th June 2014, 04:53 PM
Friend

It's a good question, Peter. I have the Analyser Pro but my assumption is that if the zonemaster is fooled by the XP2+ background colour then the Analyser Pro may be likewise affected.

It was a question that came into my mind when I got the Pro but since then I had forgotten about it.

I hope someone has the answer.

Mike
Old 20th June 2014, 04:43 PM
Friend

Am getting on and well with the XP2 and C-41, great stuff, the smoothness of the white sky is really superb.
I wonder if the stabilizer bath is required for the XP2 as it is for color film? There are no colors in the XP2?
Can anyone help with this question?
Peter
Old 20th June 2014, 06:50 PM
Friend

Peter, your lack of answers to the question of XP2+ background fooling the Zonemaster, would seem to indicate that no-one here has any experience of calibrating it for the XP2+ background which is a pity.

To make matters worse I did some research on APUG and despite there being quite a lot of RH Designs equipment users I couldn't find anything worthwhile about dealing with your problem.

Maybe Richard himself can help.

As far as the stabilizer is concerned my understanding is that it is the dye( singular in this case) that the bugs like so based on that it would seem that stabilizer is still needed but this is supposition on my part based on the above logic which may be faulty.

If no-one can state that it is not needed I'd use it on a "just in case" basis. I cannot see it doing any harm

Mike
Old 20th June 2014, 07:48 PM
Friend

Stabiliser is essential for stability, as its name implies. It isn't a simple surfactant. The film doesn't need to be immersed in it for long, but don't wash or rinse it off before drying. Don't use a squeegee. Avoid froth. Allow the stabiliser to drain off for a while before applying heat, especially with 35mm film.
Old 17th September 2014, 08:01 AM
Friend

have been away from my darkroom for a long time and now back
First, the stabilizer at the very end seems to be the right thing.
Second, I'm looking into the ZoneMaster question, experimenting, and need more work before I can definitely tell you how it is. So just be patient.
Thirdly, to demonstrate the power of the Ilford XP2 film here are three shots from the same film so developed in the same way:

peter
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	iso100.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	2177   Click image for larger version

Name:	iso400.jpg
Views:	316
Size:	105.1 KB
ID:	2178   Click image for larger version

Name:	iso1600.jpg
Views:	308
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	2179  
Old 17th September 2014, 10:28 AM
Friend

Thanks for the pics Peter. Looking at them and extrapolating for EI200 iseems to demonstrate that it is the best exposure which is what nearly everyone says, although the jump to 1600 doesn't result in as big a deterioration as I had expected after looking at EI 400

Mike
Old 19th September 2014, 08:22 PM
Friend

If you like XP2, you had better be quick and buy up a load.

At last years Ilford open day, Ilford said they were having trouble getting it to work without certain ingredients that were going to be banned by the EEC

They thought it was unlikely that after so much effort, that they would manage to find acceptable substitutes - so they film would become obsolete.

Martin
Old 19th September 2014, 10:43 PM
Friend

I wonder what the latest is on this, Martin. This is news to me and I haven't as far as I can recall, seen any reference to this potential problem on APUG

Simon Galley who regularly posts on APUG never seems to miss the opportunity to say that Ilford has no intention of dropping any of its film range. I believe in the thread on Kodak's recent decision to drop its equivalent to XP2+ Simon once again made it clear that Ilford would not be following suit

OK you might argue that the reason cited for its potential loss is outside Ilford's control so its stated intention is not compromised but if it is a possibility I'd have thought that it worth stating.

The "Go Ilford" chorus that is sung each time that Ilford makes such positive announcements on its range might become somewhat muted if Ilford hasn't mentioned this cloud on the horizon.

Mike
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies