Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Colour Work > Colour film

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 3rd January 2019, 01:27 PM
Friend

Default Colour Slide Film

I have never used slide film before but I have a project this summer of taking photos of my wife's garden, mainly just the flowers. My question is which film to use Kodak Ektachrome, Fujifilm Provia or Fujifilm Velvia.

Any simple advice?

Thanks
David
Old 3rd January 2019, 01:30 PM
Friend

Velvia will give you more saturated colors. Provia will be more true to life. Depends on the look you want. I have not processed my first roll of Ektachrome yet. Slide films are intended to be projected and admired.
Old 3rd January 2019, 01:53 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabsond View Post
Velvia will give you more saturated colors. Provia will be more true to life. Depends on the look you want. I have not processed my first roll of Ektachrome yet. Slide films are intended to be projected and admired.
Thanks, they will be projected as I don't have a scanner anyway. I will pay to get them processed as I only develop and print B&W at the moment.

As for the look my wife like to the old slides I was given which are from the 70's, not sure what film they are but the slide just say Kodachrome Transparency on them
Old 3rd January 2019, 03:32 PM
Friend

That will be Kodachrome film which, sadly, is no longer available. The films mentioned, however, should all give good results. Metering exposure for slides is a bit different from B&W. You need to pay attention to the highlights, more than the shadows. If you over expose, you end up with clear highlight areas which look terrible! Also, there isn’t much room for error as the films have very little latitude compared to negative materials. It’s worth a bit of research to see how best to expose the film, mainly because film and processing is more expensive than B&W. An incident exposure meter can be useful, but not essential.
Alex.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 3rd January 2019, 03:46 PM
Friend

Sadly Kodachrome film is not made anymore, lovely film but processing was very complex, Try a roll of the new Ektachrome, or Provia, for your purposes Velvia would not work I think, it very satureted, not a bit like the old Kodakchrome, for exposure you must be as accurate as possible, their is very little latitude with slide film, maybe 1/2 a stop, either use a spot meter or meter close up to the subject an I suggest that you bracket, at least to start with, also, try using Incident metering, and I would use a hand held meter, Have fun and enjoy the experiance, it is maany years since I shot any slides, but I still have some of them and get them out now and again
Richard
Old 3rd January 2019, 03:58 PM
Friend

Thanks for the advice, I shall get a roll and give it a go
Old 3rd January 2019, 05:54 PM
Friend

Default The New Ektachrome

I have not used it but have seen slides ready to be projected at a photo outlet in London. Yes they were professionaly taken but oh such quality.

They must have done a lot of research to get them as good as thee ones I saw, bright, very sharp and superbly processed.

A word about scanning them, my advice is - don't! The colour gamut will be so constrained that you will loose the true quality that only projected slides can give. They are sure to dissapoint you.

Projected Digital images do not even come close.
Old 3rd January 2019, 05:56 PM
Friend

With slides I tended to under expose around 1/2 stop. An under exposed slide looks a lot better than over exposed. As Richard said, best to bracket your first roll in 1/2 stops each way

Tony
Old 3rd January 2019, 07:09 PM
Friend

The Fuji slide films are wonderful, but it is very much a matter of taste. For most pictures the Provia should be the best choice, though I have also seen wonderful landscapes with the Velvia, when the colours captured were not too flashy. For colours in general I prefer slide film over colour negative film by now. Best, Frank
Old 3rd January 2019, 09:36 PM
Friend

I think I'll go against the flow here, and suggest you start with Velvia.
My favourite slide film was always Kodachrome 25, which was also delivered bold colours.
I just never took to Ektachrome which seemed a bit 'flat' by comparison. If Velvia is 'too much', then by all means look for something less saturated, but why not find out straight off just what the polar opposite of black-and-white looks like?
Exposure is important, as overexposed slides just wash out to nothing. However, I have to confess, my XD7 does such a good job I can leave it on Auto exposue almost all the time.

As said, project you slides. A well exposed colour slide projected big in a dark room is eye-popping.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies