Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Member Organised Functions > Auctions of Interest

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 18th June 2010, 10:08 AM
Friend

Default Jobo 2523 tank auction

There is an auction for this tank on ebay, which at present has the tank with no reel at £91.99 here is the link

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...#ht_530wt_1139

I am just amazed that people bid like this, the same tank new in Firstcall is listed at just under £64

I for one always search for prices before I bid, if I am not sure what an item is worth and on this basis, certain things can be bought for less from regular suppliers. I have bought a number of items from Ffordes, Mr Cad, SDS and others and saved on the ebay prices. My Combiplan Tank cost me £40 new from a shop when I had watched half a dozen or so go through ebay for £65-£80.

Part of the reason for my post is to alert anybody who is not aware already to the fact that, some of the dealers still supplying darkroom equipment can be a better deal than ebay for certain items, check it out first before bidding.

Neil
Old 18th June 2010, 10:28 AM
Administrator

Incredible isn't it
Old 18th June 2010, 01:15 PM
Administrator

Wow - I've got three of those. Hmmmm...

Looks like b**s did not want to let it go. Even odder, the winner i**f put in a maximum bid of over £90 the day before.

I wonder if Firstcall (or any other supplier) actually have any in stock. If they have, then this is just beyond silly...
Old 18th June 2010, 02:29 PM
Friend

Nova charged me over £80 for a new Combi-Plan earlier this year, Neil; but I do remember their being quite a bit cheaper not too long ago.

As it happens, I'm really happy with it (but I had been used to 60% more chemistry in my few years of Doran use). It's a bit more trustworthy than the Orbital, I think.
Old 18th June 2010, 03:41 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob View Post

Looks like b**s did not want to let it go. Even odder, the winner i**f put in a maximum bid of over £90 the day before.

I wonder if Firstcall (or any other supplier) actually have any in stock. If they have, then this is just beyond silly...
The seller offered it for sale at £40 on another forum recently!
Old 18th June 2010, 06:36 PM
Friend

It's a good point that you make Neil, it's certainly worth checking prices before bidding.
Old 18th June 2010, 07:27 PM
Friend

I am glad I am not the only one to notice some recently( and it is recent) crazy prices with some strange bidding patterns on Jobo tanks.

The question is: Is this just an aberration or has the "market sentiments" changed? Could it be that bidders now think that Jobo equipment especially tanks are in rapidly diminishing supply and this has brought out two kinds of bidders. The first is the genuine enthusiast fearful that the next tank is the last and the second is the e-bay speculator willing to pay crazy prices because when he sells in another three months the prices will be crazier still.

Mike
Old 25th June 2010, 11:40 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob View Post

Further to this post I called Firstcall to ask about this tank, I remembered earlier in the year talk of Jobo going in to receivership and wondered if the price bid, reflected the fact that you could no longer get them.
The chap at Firstcall said Jobo was back trading with a reduced product list, but the tank in question is still available and at the price quoted on their website. He also said it might take a few weeks for supplies to be back to normal (by July) so could take a couple of weeks to get. So it seems the bidder was either hasty or in immediate need of the tank, well I did have another option but was too polite to say it
Firstcalls website I was told have updated their product list to show what is still available.

Neil
Old 25th June 2010, 04:36 PM
Administrator

That's good to hear about Jobo - thanks for letting us know Neil .
Old 5th July 2010, 06:33 PM
Friend

i think alot of bidders simply *assume* that Jobo tanks etc are no longer available. Added to that you sometimes get two competitive people bidding who won't let the other win!
If you're in for the long haul on bidding for certain say Jobo or Bronica items, you'll notice that prices rise and fall regularly. I bought my SQA-i a few months ago for £200 - only to watch them climb with some far from mint copies going for £400 and now have seen them come back down to the mid £200s. So if you want an SQA-i - now is a good time to get in before they rise again!
Rich
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies